Air Drying Boilies

Blunderer

Reaction score
I recently tried to airdry 3K of Fusion boilies.

I put them, still fresh, in a net bag which I bought and hung them up in the shed. A week later, when I went back, they had all gone white with mould.

What did I do wrong? What a waste of £30...!

F

Frothey

you need to shake them once or twice a day, otherwise the boilies in the middle stay moist. is the shed damp? and can air flow through - otherwise the air just stays humid.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
can u explain why you needed to air dry 3kgs of bait all at once just take with you what you need and what you dont use put them back in the freezer good advise from frothey when drying you must keep giving them a shake and never let them get damp

steveo

Reaction score
Sqirrels had mine when I was off the lake for a re supply,buggers trashed my air dry bag then went in my bivvy,bit through my food bag to get my hob nob's!!!Be warned if you goto the Colne Valley.

Sorry Blunderer I was digressing.,,Yep as said dry them in a well ventilated(Squirrel)free place and move them around every few hours.

FLUKE

Reaction score
Better off laying them out on Richworth drying trays. The air circulates better.

Air dry bags work better in the open air.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I get a air drying bag, put 1 kilo in, wrap a towel round them, then put them in our mrs's tumble drier. They come out lovely, then i make sure they are completely dry and put them in a air tight bucket. Only do around 1 kilo though, otherwise you could damage the machine,
I did some Nutrabaits a few year ago, and they are still hard and lovely today, ready for this winter.

C

Cakey

better than air drying is to throw them in with your pellets (low oil)

C

Cakey

after a couple of days they are hard enough for any reggie and will last a few weeks

F

Frothey

Better off laying them out on Richworth drying trays

better still, make youre own for a fiver.....!

Blunderer

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, chaps.

Richard Turner 3, yes I can explain rather easily. I went for a 1 week session and hung these out half way through the session as they were not going to be used. There was an anglers cabin there where I hung them, then transferred to the shed when I got home.

I was aware that putting them back in the freezer would be a simpler solution.

K

Keith Finn

Sometimes the white residue on the boilies is nothing to worry about Blunderer.

Where the boilies still moist when they went whiteish?

If they were then I am afraid it is mould and they are uselessbut if they where hard and dry then I would not worry about it too much.

I've foundthta a particular type of boilie, and it seems to be boilies that contain a type of fishmeal, do it more then others and you have had the same result as I have.

It seems to be the salts, contained within the fishmeals,come to the surface and leave a white dusty coating during the air drying process.

I have eaten a type of dried fish, which is one of the fishmeals used in boilie making, well my mother is Far Eastern,, and salt is one of the ingrediants that is used to preserve the fish for long periods. This always leaves a white dusty coating on the bait but it is still perfectly edible.

I don't think it will be any different then what is happening to your bait.

BTW If the things stink to high heaven then you can safely say they have gone off but make sure is a " gone off" fish smell an dnot a normal fishmeal boilies smell.

Keith

Blunderer

Reaction score
Keith

That's a bloody useful post. They were still moist, though.

Hope you are well mate.