The Pleasure Angle - Virgin Territory

• Thread starter trev matthews (100M bronze)
  • Start date
T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

Great article Mark, im off this weekend to find a piece of paradise, failing that ill just go somewhere ive not been to before and pretend.

M

MarkTheSpark

Never a truer word, Mark. It's not just the uncharted rivers these days, either. There are bits of the local club water on the Welland and Nene near me that never see an angler.

Why? Because you have to walk a mile to get to them. This summer I've waded through knee-high meadow to get to the banks of cracking bits of the Welland, and it's obvious the banks have not been trodden all season. As you say, just because they haven't been fished doesn't mean they hold all the specimen fish; expectations should be the same as you'd have on any other bit of the river.

But the joy of fishing completely alone and ambushing fish that clearly haven't seen a hook is supreme.

The real dream (and plenty achieve it) is happening upon some really great fishing; you can have it all to yourself for as long as you want.

Great article. I really hope it gets some of our more sedentary members off their arses and down the river/canal/lake bank.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Great read,I have fished some urban streams and the fish they hold can be quite suprising.I also agree whole heartedly on the canal systems ,under used and under rated for all species for some bizzare reason .

Deanos

Reaction score
Lovely article, your enthusiasm and excitement shine through.

I am a bit of an unsociable fella when it comes to my fishing. Like Mark the Spark, my club waters are under fished, deserted through the week, and you can find bits that are off the beaten track and never fished. And I kind of like that!

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Really good inspiring article, looking forward to the next installment already.

E

EC

Good article Mark, you're spot on about canals, the most under utilised fisheries we have without doubt!

mick rees

Reaction score
I agrre with you about canals ,but the canal that i would like to fish is like the m/way with barges during the day and night fishing is out of the question

Keith M

Reaction score
Greatarticle.

I am going to try our clubs stretch of the Great Ouse for Pike this winter, the stretch is fished by a few Barbel, Chub and Roach anglersbut I havebeen toldthat they can't remember seeing anyone Piking along the stretch, however they have seen the odd largeish pike attacking shoals of fish.

It may not be virgin water for Barbel, Chub and Roach; but it is the nearest thing Ive foundto a virgin water for Piking. So Im looking forward to my Piking this winter.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I'm with Eddie regarding canals. I live in Runcorn right on banks of Bridgewater Canal. You used to see plenty of anglers on including matches. Now you have them to your self. I used to fish it in winter for pike but I prefere to fish in the countryside. So going to try canals in Cheshire this winter when boating calms down.

Reaction score
Great article Mark.

You clearlydescribe what angling is all about (at least it used to be!). I have just returned to fishing after a 10 year dry spell and felt a sense of dissapointment (and dare I sare sadness) after a bit of info gathering when I realised howpopular predictable commercial waters have become over the last decade.

I took my little boy on his first fishing trip a couple of weeks ago and after catching 15 roach on a feeder, he's now hungry to go again. It'll be my local canal his time - who knows what he will catch, could be anything or nothing, but that's angling.

bill capser

Reaction score
A great article Mark im 76 years oldnow but still go fishing, some thing i've been doing for the last 68 years since my dad (god rest his soul) took me on the river Lea in Ware Hertfordshire. I still remember the first fish I caught a roach in an unfrequented stretch of the Lea. Looking forward to your next article with great entheusism. Good luck

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A very good article Mark. This is the sort of fishing I get excited about these days. Size of fish is secondary, the wildness of the fish is paramount.

Go to the Fens, there is lots of wild fishing there.

jasper or big man

Reaction score
i have found a small farm pond such as you describe which has not been touched for 20 years or more how would you tell if there is any life in said pond

big T

Reaction score
Over hee we don't have the canals that you have but we have a lot more lakes, even so we mostly fish the rivers as they hold the best fishing unless you are lucky enough to live in Fermanagh.