Victory in fight to save Fen lodes

C

Chris Bishop

Campaigners fighting to save Cambridgeshire's historic lodes have today been leaked documents which show the Environment Agency is recommending these ancient waterways should be preserved. Nearly 1,000 conservationists and anglers signed an online petition, which attracted a response from Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

More here.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Yes I seem to remember getting an email from government, I'd forgotten all about it. Seems it might be good news then Chris.

C

Chris Bishop

It is Paul, the source it came from is 100% reliable.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I'm completely baffled! That piece of news is in complete contrast to the recent e-mail I received from the government??

Here's the key point of that mail:

"The EA currently justifies funding for maintaining the Lodes embankments on the grounds of providing flood protection to a few properties and the surrounding fen agricultural land. However, as the National Trust changes the agricultural land to wetland the EA believes it will be increasingly difficult to justify this expenditure."

C

Chris Bishop

This was strongly rebutted by the National Trust hours after it appeared. Shortly afterwards, the EA's consultation document with its recommendation to maintain the lodes as they are was leaked to the media.