Muck Boots

Dave Bruce

Reaction score
Hi all I was thinking about buying a pair of neoprene wellies from muck boots for winter fishing. I can't decide whether to go for the ribble http://www.hunterwellingtonboots.com/ribble-muck-boots-green-98-p.asp

or the derwent

http://www.hunterwellingtonboots.com/derwent-muck-boots---green-95-p.asp

I'm drawn to the ribble ones because they are only half length which would offer a bit more flexability around the ankles but I'm not so sure about the all terrain sole on them, I'm not sure how grippy they would be on slippy muddy river banks in winter. I was going to buy the sundridge neoprene boots which I've heard good things about but they seem to have the same grips too

http://www.swiftys-fishing-tackle.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=624

So have any of you used any of these boots and what are your opinions of them?

Many Thanks

S

Sean Meeghan

I've got a pair of the Derwents (I think). The sole is a faily heavily cleated one and gives good grip on most surfaces. I was a bit worried about the sole that looks like a pair of old pumps so went for this model. Don't worry about the length as you can roll the top of the boot down - I always do this in warmer weather. I've had mine for a year now and can thoroughly recommend them The only problem I had was a small blow hole on the rand of the boot which leaked slightly, but was easily fixed by a blob of Aquasure.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I've got a pair of Mudrucker boots by Just Togs. Cheaper than Muckboots. Managed to get them in 5's to fit me. Try ebay for them.

Dave Bruce

Reaction score
Hi Robert, I have just had a look at the ones you mention and they seem to have a similar grip to the ones I've been looking at. Could i just ask if you find them grippy enough on slippy banks and also do they keep your feet warm, also would you recommend buying a size up or just my normal shoe size. Sorry for all the questions but I've wasted so much money over the yearson winter footwear that just isn't any good ~I'm determind to get it right this time.

Many thanks

D

david bruce 1

Heh who's this nicking my name /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

I've checked your link Dave and I do have a pair of Derwents. They are reasonably roomy and your normal shoe size will give you room for a thickish pair of sports socks. I'd be careful with the grips like the Ribble and the Sundridge boots as when they clog with mud they will be like skis on wet grass. The sole on the Derwent is reasonably self cleaning and I've had no trouble with them.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

Dave,

They kept my feet warm last winter, and were good on slippy banks. I got one size bigger to add extra socks and they kept feet warm. Ideal for mucking out stables as well.../forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif.

roy andrews

Reaction score
Have you tried the Avon Muck Boots. They come with a leaf camoflarge design and a Derwent Boot sole. I know loads of people who wear these for fishing. Have seen these on internetgardener website.

Simon Harries

Reaction score
The New Hunter Balmoral Neo range arereally good. Hunters have improved the tread and they are comfortable like trainers.

I looked on www.targetwholesale.co.uk as advised above in the link from the past and have found them good.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif