?100ish Fly Rod

Dave Bruce

Reaction score
Hi all I'm in the market for a new rod, I currently own a daiwa wisker 6-8 it's about 15 years old, it wasn't used for a number of years due to me coarse fishing all the time but over the last couple of years I've rediscovered my love of fly fishing. I'm looking to spend around the hundred pound mark, maybe more if it's worth it. I only fish rivers, the ure, swale, tees etc. My main line of attack is a team of spiders but I also do a fair bit of czech nymphing too. I'm looking for a rod about 5-6 and quite stiff because I find my wisker rod rather floppy, I have no idea how my old rod fairs against the modern rods but I assume they will be much better. I've been looking at the Greys grxi and the sharpes gordon, could anyone offer some advice please ???

Trisantona

Reaction score
I don't think any rod making material even comes close to the Daiwa Whiskers,stick with what you've got.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'd recommend going for a newer rod as I think the Whisker is a bit heavy for what you want. In my opinion you don't need to buy a really expensive rod for river fishing as you won't be casting great distances. A stiffer rod will help when czech nymphing as you're often lifting the bug from quite deep water.

I've no experience of the Greys rods, but they seem quite hightly regarded. My gut feel would be to go for the cheaper rod. I'd also have a look at the Airflo range. I've got a couple and I quite like them. Fishtec have got a sale on at the moment - the only problem is not being able to try the rod I suppose.

I'm regarded as a bit of a philistine by the likes of Ron, but I think he'll agree that unless you're a real expert the money spent on an expensive rod is largely wasted.

Sits back and waits for the storm!

Dave Bruce

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I have to say as a yorkshire man I'm not adverse to saving a bob or two