46lb Pike Caught Near Scarborough

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
quote from the paper

He threw the specimen — nicknamed the Wykeham Whacker — back alive and well after weighing and photographing it.

He THREW - I'll bet he didn't - I'll bet it was put back responsibley and the 2hats that the Sun can't get it right:mad:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Clearly a gravid fish, but kin huge all the same.

story here.

It's the second or third time that fish has been out since last summer. It's been very close to the same 46lb mark each time. It was first caught in November 2010 at 39lb 15oz. The water concerned is but a few short miles, as the crow flies, from my present location. It's a water that I'm familiar with but haven't actually bothered to fish for the best part of twenty years. I don't fish for pike so I'm certainly not going to join the queue of folks lining up to catch this particular fish.

terry m

Reaction score
Super fish, but I can just picture the batteries of rods positioned around the lake next winter as a known fish gets chased by the masses.

It is a shame that a little discretion was not exercised.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Super fish, but I can just picture the batteries of rods positioned around the lake next winter as a known fish gets chased by the masses.

It is a shame that a little discretion was not exercised.

I too share Terry's concerns. I can just imagine that poor fish swimming the gauntlet for the remainder of its limited life.

bigsean

Reaction score
the lake is only going to be open till december 31st this year and then its closing down,
dont know wot that means for the pike in there, because all the trout are being moved to another location.
the chap who has the lease on it now says he will reduce prices for the final few months!!!
so one way or another i dont see a happy ending for that fish.

M&B

Reaction score
Bet all those pig sick noddies from Chew will be on her case

madmatz

Reaction score
i read somewhere that after this/last season the bloke in charge was closing the pike fishing in order to protect the fish???

madmatz

Reaction score
use the money he earns from the trout fishing? i dont know? im just going on what i read