Navigational Rights on Rivers

s_roberts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a University Student currently writing a dissertation on the awareness of navigational rights over rivers in England and am using forums for this research.
I would like to ask your opinions on what you believe is the legal position for members of the public to navigate (canoe/kayak etc.) on rivers in England?
I am assuming if you reply to this thread that you are happy for me to use your response in my study, if you would not like to be included please say so in your post or send me a private message.

Thank you very much for any responses.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would like to ask your opinions on what you believe is the legal position for members of the public to navigate (canoe/kayak etc.) on rivers in England?

Generally speaking, and outside of tidal reaches, there is no right of navigation on English rivers.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
In some places it 'may' be a grey area but... I'm told that there is a right of navigation for canoeists on the river Wye from Hay-on-wye downstream. This doesn't seem to stop canoeists launching upstream however, at Glasbury and above. Perhaps you can investigate this and get back to us with why canoeists think this is acceptable behaviour - and why the authorities do not crack down and stop it.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Put simply and generally speaking, canoeists/kayakers seem to believe they have all the rights without having to pay/buy, whilst those who do own, rent or lease the riparian rights, their rights are ignored/abused See HERE

As Mark indicates, Simon Jackson (former legal advisor for NAFAC) will give the correct legal position

John Howard

Reaction score
As an ex canoeist, I'll try and explain the reasoning behind river use by canoeists. I do not condone this.

Its the upper wild reaches of rivers that interest them because of the white water rapids falls etc. Most of this use is during the winter because normally the rivers are swollen with flood water. Not forgetting of course that fewer people are about to catch them. The term used for this is a "bandit run". Its also a fact that even the land owners are ignorant of the law.

The River Severn IS A NAVIGATION from Pool Quay (just down stream of Welshpool) to the sea. So legally any use above here canoeist's must have the land owners permission. there must also be public access to the river that they can use.