Huge Salmon catch on the Eden

Salmo Salar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but I used to fish all hours 24/7, 40years before 24/7 was coined, and consequently go back to early sixties.

I wonder if I could pose a question to you that has been bugging me for such a long time now.?? As a young angler in the early sixties, I saw on the front page of the 'Angling Times' back when it was a 'tabloid size'onI think the first of January around 1961 / 1963, that the Vicar of I think Lazonby or Wetheral, not sure exactly which, but I would plump for Wetheral, --had a line of Salmon at the side of him, probably about 12/15 fish, sized between mid teens to high twenties (lbs)----being displayed on a fence, with him standing proudly alongside. There was snow on the ground, and he'd caught all the fish, in the morning of the first day of the season, which must have been the Ist January, or maybe February-- is that stillthe salmon season starting date I wonder.??I can vividly see that picture to this day andI have passed the story from my memory to son and grandsons, butI wishthat I could find that picture, to show them the actual detail. I have tried Angling Times but their archives, on the web apparently don't go back so far. Do YOU know of it, or even maybe recall the event. I assume the lucky angling vicar has probably passed on by now, but you never know. I would be grateful for your help if possible, and await your replies,/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Many Thanks in advance, Ian (fromAstley nr. Manchester)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If you look at THIS SITE there are a couple of contact numbers if you scroll down (one is of the river keeper) maybe if you tryhim and explain what you want to know - he may be able to help you