Need recomendation for a Carp rod for £100 or less

Keith M

Reaction score
I retired on Friday; and knowing that I am a fishing nut; the guys and gals at work gave me a gift voucher to buy myself something from my local tackleshop.

I had a look at a few different reels but I didn't really need another reel yet so I decided that the only thing I really needed was another Carp rod to replace one of my older Carp rods; but I don't really know what I can buy for £100 or less these days.

Can anyone help me choose? I need a lightish Carp rod of around 2lb to 2.5lb tc max as I will be using it at close to mid range and for surface fishing so I don't need a rod that is too powerful and stiff.

If you needed to buy a decent 'close to mid range' Carp rod for £100 or less which Carp rod would you choose to buy?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Keith

I'm no carper but I was thinking of having a go and was looking for a similar sort of rod...if I do have a crack at this I will be fishing much the same way as you envisage.

There is not much around below 2.75lb tc but I am very tempted by the Chub Outkast Small Water 11 or 12' at 2.25lb tc. I've not found one to play with yet but it sounds very much more my idea of a carp rod than some of the broom handles needed for chucking big leads/pva bags into orbit. Well within your budget too.

I've never,ever used anything over 1.75 tc which makes just about all "standard" carp rods feel like beachcasters to me. The Outkast I think I might feel much more comfortable with. The Outkasts are generally well regarded rods I believe.

Skippy

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
I've been using Shimano Hyperloops in 2.25 & 2.5 for some years for my carp/pike fishing. Light, rugged, quality fittings, progressive action and cheap.

I think they may have been "updated" now with the Hyperloop BX starting at 2lb t.c. around £65 +/- new?

Recommended by me, for sure, having caught many hard-fighting carp up to mid/upper-thirties on them, on rivers and very large gravel pits. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been using Shimano Hyperloops in 2.25 & 2.5 for some years for my carp/pike fishing. Light, rugged, quality fittings, progressive action and cheap.

I think they may have been "updated" now with the Hyperloop BX starting at 2lb t.c. around £65 +/- new?

Recommended by me, for sure, having caught many hard-fighting carp up to mid/upper-thirties on them, on rivers and very large gravel pits. :)

Simon,
I think that the Hyperloops have been "updated" out of existence.

It's remarkably hard work to find carp rods of less than 2.5lb TC these days. Even when they actually make them, it's another matter to find someone that actually stocks them.
However, I know that the current Shimano Catana Specimen rods are made right down to 2.00lb TC. Whilst I haven't laid hands on the lighter rods the 2.75/3.00lb rods are rather nice for the money (around £70 at the cheapest).

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/nl/index/Products_2011/rods_and_poles/specimen/catana_bx_specimen.html

Simon K

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right Sam. I'd expect the Catana's to be as good quality and I suspect Keith would be perfectly well served in the 2.00 to 2.50 bracket. The Alivio series does a 2.25.

It doesn't sound like he'll be needing to cast to the horizon? :)

Don't forget Keith, there's plenty of very good, barely used carp gear out there secondhand. ;)

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I apologise for hijacking Keith's thread but I'm after the same sort of rod. Trouble is I dislike the look/feel of carp rods intensely. Given that if I do have a go at this I will NOT be casting to the horizon is there any reason why I couldn't use a heavy barbel rod which is typically 2lb tc or a bit more ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I apologise for hijacking Keith's thread but I'm after the same sort of rod. Trouble is I dislike the look/feel of carp rods intensely. Given that if I do have a go at this I will NOT be casting to the horizon is there any reason why I couldn't use a heavy barbel rod which is typically 2lb tc or a bit more ?

No reason whatsoever not to. If I'm fishing either a venue where a big chuck is not required or the fish generally don't go any larger than 20lb, barbel rods, or even Avon rods if I fish a float, are exactly what I use.

barbelboi

Reaction score
On weed free waters I'm quite happy using a decent 1.5/1.75 rod for carp to large 20's as I'm not looking to cast out of site - if I 'must' cast to 80 or so yards I would use a balista slim (2.75) which has blanks not much different in diameter to a 1.75 barbel rod and has a playing action to die for.
Jerry

Simon K

Reaction score
Very much depends on the water(s) you're fishing.

Heavier tackle if.........casting distance, fishing to potential snags, island edges etc where you might have to bully fish away or in.

A rod's a tool, Skippy. Pick the right one for the job. Is it going to cope with casting a large method feeder or pva bag/heavy lead 50yds+?
Think about how you fish (or might fish) for carp and never go undergunned in my opinion.

Don't go "floppy hat" on us? :p :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Simon K;1127844 Don't go "floppy hat" on us? :p :)[/QUOTE said:
No chance of that I assure you.

I follow & understand the logic of it all its just that carp rods and [for want of a better term carping] are so different to what I normally do that everything feels so alien & horrible. I cannot get my head round either the rods or these huge,heavy reels. I'm not convinced I will ever come to terms with them.

By "proper" rod I meant something that isn't at least 2.5lb tc and has more than 5 rings. I was thinking of the Korum Neoteric Twin Top which gives me a 1.75 and a 2.2 tc top. I can see me getting on with that and as I'm not planning to be heaving 3oz leads and bags into the next county do I need anything more ?

I will be doing my apprenticeship on a combination of small and/or snag free waters where I doubt I'll ever need to cast more than 40 yards. I dont surely need a "proper" carp rod to do that...do I ?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
By "proper" rod I meant something that isn't at least 2.5lb tc and has more than 5 rings. I was thinking of the Korum Neoteric Twin Top which gives me a 1.75 and a 2.2 tc top. I can see me getting on with that and as I'm not planning to be heaving 3oz leads and bags into the next county do I need anything more ?

Possibly not, however, I have a pair of the Korum Twin Tips and I feel that (with the 2.2lb tip) they are more pokey than my old 2.5lb Daiwa Powermesh Carp rods. TC doesn't tell the full story.

Avoid a carp rod with a fast/tip action that's meant as a casting tool (as most seem to be these days) and you should be ok. Just don't make assumptions based on TC alone.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Can't see anything wrong with that on those terms.

I've landed plenty of double-figure and 20lb carp on my 1.75 barbel rods and 10lb line on the river/canals without losing any.

I know what you mean regarding the different "feel" of using a dedicated carp rod, but it doesn't take long to get used to when you're using it for what it was made for.

"Big Pit" reels aren't necessary most of the time either (I don't own one) and the 6000's I've just upgraded to for my carp/river fishing are perfect for a bit of distance on the lakes (60-70 yds) without being too overblown in size/weight for bolt-rigging at any distance on the river.

See what the casting weight is on the Korum, then you know what it's limitations are.

It's often the case that carp on small(ish) waters tend to move out to the middle as being the furthest away from pressure, so consider that as being the maximum distance you're likely to cast and then what bait delivery method you're going to use?

It's often better to cast a decently packed single bag (or "Method", even single hook-bait) rather than loads of spodding if it's the opposite of what everyone else is doing?

Difficult to say not knowing the type of water you'll be on in terms of stock and pressure?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Spodding ? I've never spodded in me life I'll have you know and I have no intention of starting now. Anyway...doesn't that make you go blind ?

Right...it will be fairly gentle stuff at no more than 40yds range...50 max and nothing more elaborate than a small bag or stringer.Most of it will be at much shorter range.As I said I am not sure "proper" carping is for me so I dont want to dive in with a pair of matching everythings only to discover I dont enjoy it. It will be nearly all short session stuff too so I dont intend to be carting mountains of gear about or engaging sherpas.

I thought the Neoteric would be a decent bet as it would double up for a bit of zandering [my present passion] or barbel whereas in Skippy's world a full blown carp rod is a carp rod and not much else.Not the way I like to fish anyway...though I suppose I could use it for tope ?

How would you rate the Neoteric as a light carp rod Sam ? I take your point about tc's...it is an indicator and only that. The Powermesh were much more through action though as I recall and modern rods do IMO seem to be that bit stiffer generally.Bigger payloads & longer range being much more the norm I guess

If not the Neo then I might go for that Outkast Small Water....but I cannot bear abbreviated handles. In that respect I am a bit "floppy hat".

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
How would you rate the Neoteric as a light carp rod Sam ? I take your point about tc's...it is an indicator and only that. The Powermesh were much more through action though as I recall and modern rods do IMO seem to be that bit stiffer generally.Bigger payloads & longer range being much more the norm I guess.

It'll do a job for you and double up as a decent barbel rod. I have heard of them being used for zander too, but they (zander) are something I know next to nowt about.
I've been fishing for carp (no bigger than 20lb) for the last month or so on a fairly big gravel pit. There's plenty of space and virtually no snags so I'm getting away with using Avon rods and heavy float rods. I've no need to go as heavy as breaking out my barbel rods just yet. "Proper" modern carp rods only come into play when long distance chucks are required. They aren't half as much fun to play fish with.

There are modern carp rods out there that have lower ratings and more through actions, the problem is finding stockists. They are so far out of favour that few want to buy them. Look out for the lower rated Shimano rods, particularly those designated as fish playing action rather than those designated as long distance.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone.

I think I am bending towards getting a < Chub Outkast Plus 2.5lb tc rod > or a < Outkast Plus Smallwater 2.25lb tc rod > as quite a few people have mentioned that the Chub Outkasts are quite good rods, and the Outkast looks like it will suit the waters and methods I'll be using it for.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Keith

Sorry for hijacking the thread but if its any consolation IF [and its a big if] I felt that I had to have a "proper" carp rod it would be one of those two.

If you do go for one of these I'd be interested to know what you think of them.

Skippy

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've got the 1.75/2.2 Neoteric Skippy and it's a nice rod. I find it a bit powerful for barbel fishing the Yorkshire rivers, but that's just a personal preference. For fishing the Trent and method feeder fishing for tench, bream and carp it's just about perfect. I also use it on the Fens and on rivers for zander and pike. As an all round medium to heavy specimen rod for everything except long range carp it's just about spot on.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Thanks Sean...the Neoteric is what I really want and I just needed someone to say that.
Deep down I know that if I buy a "proper" carp rod I am going to hate it.

That's the original version,yes ? There is a new one out [the XS] though I suspect any difference will be largely cosmetic.

Skippy