Stillwater barbel - factual info needed?

Paul C

Reaction score
One of my small local clubs (100 members) is a nice medium sized reservoir, which on the whole provides good bream and roach fishing with odd tench and an increasing number of carp which mysteriously increase in numbers, year on year (and it aint breading).

The two ‘main men’ in this club have hatched a plan to stock barbel. They run the match scene on there and it seems they’ve fished a few commercials. The owner of one of them claims his barbel have bred and these two are now hell bent on making barbel the choice for next years stocking fund.

At the last AGM, where it was first mooted openly, I argued against it, but given that it was totally unexpected, I wasn’t prepared with reasoned arguments. They had clearly thought of all possible objections and countered them with wild unsubstantiated story’s like their ability to breed, cos Mr Commercial owner has proved it was possible….. and they could breed because a small stream runs into the place (it’s little more than a land drain).

I have no issues with barbel in commercially run fisheries. But I personally believe this small single water club, doesn’t need them and they will be a waste of money, compared to building on the existing species in the place. To me it’s more of a waste of our stocking fund than a purist thing.

I am sure there will have been previous discussions on here regarding stillwater barbel, but I’d appreciate any factual information about stocking barbel into stillwaters. The water in question is largely quite deep (6ft plus in the margins to 18 feet in the middle) and being on high ground it’s open to the elements, so a water that is usually colder than most.

So, what are the facts with stillwater barbel? Am I being reasonable by opposing this? Is there any likelyhood of the stocking of barbel being refused by the EA? Has anyone any experiencethey could share?

Help!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Paul.

It may be worth finding out which class of water that Barbel are suited to, and then find out what class of water your clubs water is. And also what class of water Mr. commercials water is. They may be suited to Mr. Commercials water, but not neccecerily your clubs water.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Putting a wild or semi wild creature into an environment it isn't designed for seems like needless and gratuitous mistreatment to me. Barbel love the heavy water and the flow, putting them in still waters so that someone can tick the latest fashionable species box without having to get off their bedchair just doesn't seem right.

honslow

Reaction score
Probably make more sense economically to stock more silvers, maybe including chub. Barbel cost a small fortune, I'm sure, compared to most other species, except possibly tench. Definitely the worse choice in terms of money sent to bites gained-type of ratio. Having siad that, the buggers go like stink! Good battle for you buck ratio!

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Paul,

In order that the EA will grant section 30's for the stocking of barbel into still water environment's, said still waters "must" come up to the standards as laid down by the EA. It rather sounds that the water in question doesn't? If it stands on high ground how does a ditch manage to run into it? If in doubt Paul, phone the EA Calverton fish farm and ask to speak to Alan Henshaw. Alan will be able to answer all your questions and is a very able and helpful chap.

Regards,

Lee.