Which fish has

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have obtained reasonable evidence of which freshwater fish found in Britain has the best eyesight. To narrow it down, it is from this list

Pike, perch, brown trout, rainbow trout, chub, zander, dace.

Which one would you pick?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Although the pike is possessed of excellent eyesight, it is quite short sighted.

No it's not the pike.

T

The Monk

well its certainly not the South American Blind cave fish, I would suspect it would be a surface feeder because I remeber reading somewhere that bottom feeders have great movement/ vibration and chemo senses than surface feeders, so i`m probably go with trout

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A further clue. The fish involved is a predator. Cyprinids tend not to have the best eyesight, although the chub has probably the best eyesight of all the British Cyprinids.

So that cuts out chub and dace.

T

The Monk

heres an interesting one, why have bream developed into the shape they are

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

According to the evidence I have recieved, the rainbow trout has the best eyesight, followed closely be the perch and the brown trout. Pike come 4th. Pike do have a problem when attacking their prey as thay often miss.

Talk to me about it.

T

The Monk

you said it was a preditor?, rainbow trout are omnivores arnt they

T

The Monk

Rainbow trout have a varied diet. They are predators, eating any smaller fish from nearly the time they are born. Insects make up a large portion of the diet, along with crayfish and other crustaceans, some lake dwelling species may become planktonic feeders. Trout of all ages will eat nearly anything they can grab, in contrast with the legendary, selective nature the fish often gets. They are near the top of the food chain in most freshwater environments. However they are lower on the rung of other freshwater predators such as pike, muskie, lake trout, and chinook salmon. Rainbows will take fish up to and over 1/3 of their length and larger. However they are not quite as piscivorous or aggressive as the brown trout or lake trout, which is actually a char. The rule of thumb is that rainbows consume more fish and fewer insects as they grow, but insects continue to be a part of the diet in most all populations.

nope, looks like i`m wrong

T

The Monk

actually i`ve just been checking through some papers and its not as cleasr cut as that the rainbow trout is class by some as a large omnivore or secondary preditor because it feeds at more than one trophic level, so i`m only half wrong and so are you Ron haha

C

Cakey

its down to the size of the eyes .....................

its why the catfish aint been mentioned

C

Cakey

so I reckon its one of them bugged eye gold fish you can win at the fair

C

Cakey

I do believe you Ron but if it was down to experience I would say perch

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

And where is the source for you're "evidence" from Ron? Has it been peer reviewed and replicated many time by other scientist?