From the fish with the best eyesight,

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't have much evidence here, other than to say than the pike is capable of reaching speeds of 32 mph.

But from an empirical point of view, what do you think is the fastest of all British freshwater fish. Here is my list, starting from the fastest at number 1:

Rainbow trout

Pike

Salmon

Wild carp

Barbel

Brown trout

Dace

Chub

Tench

Grayling

Perch

Rudd

Roach

Bream

What do you think?

T

Tony Rocca

EA did some work on this a while back Ron.

1st.......Salmon.

2nd........Barbel.

Then I lost interest.

Beecy

Reaction score
if you make it size relative, then going on how fast they can shoot off when you put them back, bleak are very quick off the mark

and fry of any type can do a good few feet in fractions of a second

C

Cakey

the Indo-Pacific Sailfish, Istiophorus platypterus. It has been clocked in excess of 110 km/h (68 mph) over short periods.

glad this aint a british freshwater fish..........

D

Dave George

Ok........I know they are not strictly freshwater fish but in terms of speed in a straight linethe Grey (thin lipped I think) Mullet we catch on the tidal Stour (Dorset) have to be the fastest fish one can catch on coarse fishing tackle. The Salmonids are fast, but over very short distances and usually culminating with a jump, Barbel and (river) Carpare undoubtedly quick but pound for pound I would still say that Mullet have the edge.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Perch; clocked at 80mph on Upton bypass in 1983 (inside dustbin of water), Can't remember who was driving, only that shouldn't corner too fast.

I'd back Dave claim on mullet though; got caught out twice in the summer despite having the drag set right - one seconfd you think you have them under control and wallop!