Dumbist fish

steveo

Reaction score
Following the theme set by Ron on the fastest,best eyesight in a fish.I would like to ask which freshwater fish do you think is the Stupidist.??

T

The Monk

probably the ones I catch??

no I think it maybe the small perch, everyschool boy probably caught one of these first and in many cases without even realising it until he pulled his rod in, mind you they soon learn, the larger perch are a different ballgame

steveo

Reaction score
Cakey gota go with you on the Pike.I caught one on a lure,put it back and caught the same fish again about half an hour later,on the same lure.."Doh"

B

Bully

Dumbist? New word on me...../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I go with Cakey. Went fishing one day on upper Medway for barbel. Fed an area for about 2 hours until I introduced a hook bait.

Trouble is I only had lobs and maggots (it was a de-tour on the way from work/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifso only had some very basic stuff as the wife couldn't know).

After 2 hours of feeding maggots I chucked in a lob on a paternoster. 2 mins. Bang! Then nothing, no hook left. Hacked off.

15 mins of feedeing mags and then chucked in a big bunch of mags on a paternoster. Bang! 10 seconds cracked off.

Now I only had two hook links left, which were home tied braid length. Put on a lob, chucked out, two minutes and then bang! And again, within a couple of mins cracked off.

Now this strecth was well known for big barbel, so I was steaming! Final hooklink left, tried again with a bunch of maggots. Bang!

This time I managed to keep the fish going and after a while realised I may land it! I didn't see it until I got it to the surface right under my rod tip, and slipped the net under a.................

.........12lb pike. With every damn one of my hooks in its mouth.

Still a cracking looking fish though.

B

Bill Cox

As has been said already small perch or fingerling Roach/rudd seem to be the easiest to catch, dont know that's the same as dumbest though?

T

The Monk

LM Bass are a bit strange, I`ve hit them on lure, fell off and recast AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME FISH HAS TAKEN AGAIN

J

Jim Crosskey 2

EITHER....

Pike:As a kid, I used to fish a poolin the town I live in which is in front of a hotel. I'm not proud of this (and frankly at 11 years old we knew no better) but 2 mates of mine and me all caught the same pike in the same afternoon. Each time it went back in, it sulked off to the same shallows in full view, and each time one of us would throw a spinner or deadbait at it. As memory serves, I caught it second and it still had a little bit of go. Third time it came in like a bream (unsurprisingly).

OR

I've seen this species get certain members on this site unecessarily excited, but what about the ruffe (slapper)? They don't seem to inhabit the waters I fish now, but it seemed in the 80's when I was a kid, you could stare at a float/ quiver for a good long while without so much as a twitch - then you retrieve only to find a three inch ruffie attached!

steveo

Reaction score
Stupidist Dumbist??Think I need some spelling lesson's...Thanx for the imput,Pike still still at the back of the class so far

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

This is a very difficult one. From my own experience I would say the Tigerfish.

Amongst British species, the barbel do seem a bit thick, as do small pike at times. Certainly medium sized bream in large shoals can prove very easy to catch, not so big ones however.

I think that all immature fish are a little behind in the intelligence stakes. It is when they get bigger that they can prove difficult to catch, remember the laws of survival.A big fish has not go there through being stupid. They have learned a few lessons along the way.

The two most inquisitive British fish in my opinion are the tench and the perch.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
How about the carp in small commercials that get caught over and over again. Sometimes twice a day every day on the ponds that have two matches a day during the summer months

Keith M

Reaction score
Peter Stone wrote in his book (Bream and Barbel 1963) about the Barbel in the Royalty not fighting as hard as on the Stour, Kennetetc. and he described a 9 pound barbel which just went round in circles as an example of them not putting upmuch of afight (which is definately not normal for Barbel who size for sizenormally fight much harder thanmost other fish);and he wrotethat Richard Walker had a theory that because they had been caught so many times on the Royalty that they had learnt tojust give up; knowing that very soon they would be free again. (NB. This was in 1963 when the Royalty was a mecca for Barbel enthusasts and the best swims were permanently booked by anglers).

Im not sure that mug fish are always quitethe mugsthat we seem to think; Im not suggesting that they are intelligent but maybe justnot quite as stupid aswe think. (unless they alwaysfight as hard each time they are caught of course)./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The fact that Royalty barbel did not fight in those times is quite true.

Yorkshire barbel used to fight like demons. Peter Wheat made a trip up to Yorkshire at that time and could hardly believe the diffence beween them and the Avon fish.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Perch! I caught the same fish (recognisable by a damaged dorsal fin) SIX times in one session on the canal in the space of just two hours. Every time I released it, it went back on the feed! Greedy little bugger.....