Essential oils!

Deanos

Reaction score
One for the carp boys!

How or where do essential oils fit in with modern carp bait scene (if at all). Is it a matter of personnel preference, do they have a proven track record… are they worth a try as an alternative to the “pack”. Or even…would you bother with them!

I recall Ron (least I think it was) saying that Geranium oil was well worth a try on maggots!

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts, experiencesand views FM carpers.

Come on Mr Monk, Capitano Carrot, Frothey and young Dave, I know me pies...but not me oils! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

well worth using, often in conjunction with a "flavour" - Nutrabaits website lists a few of the better known combinations.

I'm doing something with bait this winter -article to go up - and one of the baits uses an oil as the only "flavour"

C

Cakey

because essential oil dont solidify until its something like -10 they are superb for winter fishing

they come from distilling plants and herbs and Ron is right roach and carp both like Geranium

T

The Monk

Deanoes, I thing baby oil is pretty essential if you want to entertain ruffe slappers in your bivvy

Deanos

Reaction score
Thanks very much fellas, I have had a look at the Nutrabaits web site, very interesting!!!Using an essential oil as the only flavour does not surprise me too much. Most of the synthetic flavours are disgusting. I have been in the bakery trade for many years, and fortunately work for a firm that wont use crap. Okay lads, can I pick your brains once more.I would like to stay with mainly one bait for carp/barbel and chub next year.If you had to be pinned down on a flavour/recipe that would cover these spectrums, what would it be. I have only carp fished for a season, the main boilie I used was Trigga, I have to say it worked well as regards the number of fish caught, and the bigger carp in the lake (although it was an easy-ish runs water), but I never tried it on the chub and barbel.I appreciate the advice very much, the articles also are brilliant...keep em coming.ps..Mr Monk, there would unfortunately not be enough room for me to entertain a "lady of the night" in a Bivvy...until one of the major companies release a camo marquee, I shall have toforgo that pleasure....LIFE IS SO UNFAIR! /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

C

~Cider Bob~

Deanos,

Shellfish. Done me proud on both lake and river this season.

No contest.

F

Frothey

Cakes - I've added your name at the door, you can get in so long as your not wearing trainers.

Shellfish - which one? and flavour or Hutchies sense appeal?

Deano's - worth sticking with the Trigga - if you can track Ken Townley down (he's got a few pics in the gallery) he could give you a few alternative receipes

The reason (partly) that the synthetic flavours taste crap is that they are often as a minimum 1000:1 concentration. But then carp dont taste in the same way as us anyway....

Reaction score
Deanos, Are you after buying them ready rolled or doing your own?

Ready rolled, I would have no hesitation in using a fishmeal rolled by a friend of mine at a very good price compared to commercial stuff. This is a very high percentage fishmeal base with a hint of cranberry, or Birmingham Angling Centre's own Bio-Crab. Both of these will catch anything that swims and catched chub and barbel easily as well as anything out there.

Doing your own, I would probably opt for Trigga with elevated levels of green lipped mussel extract.

C

~Cider Bob~

Frothey,

Nashbaits Lobster thermadore. Sadly only available in 50ml bottles.

steveo

Reaction score
Deano,Many years back when I was into making me own bait I had a flirtation with essential oil's.The ones which stood out for me were,Clove Turpines,Geranium and Sage,Alot of my mate's swear by Black pepper oil in their winter baits.Hope this elps.

As far as flavours/base mixes etc.Well all the base mixes will catch.Personal favorites would be Nutrabaits Enervite,CC Moore XXX,Premier Bait's Supream fish mix/Amino's.

Flavour's,if you can get Premier Bait's Smoked Ham get it.Solar's Squid and Occie Koi rearer has stood the test of time as has Hutchys Shellfish sense appeal and Scopex.

Its also worth mentioning that using a good quality base mix such as I mentioned will work perfectly well with no added flavours,the ingredients are attractive to fish in their own right.This is a good tactic to try on waters that are pressured and where the fish may be a bit edgy of synthetic flavours.Myself I aint used artificial flavours much for a long time.

Cheer's