Interesting find

Reaction score
So which clubs and landowners do you suggest should start allowing free fishing on their stretches of river?

Who will bailiff these free stretches?

If anyone is allowed to fish these free stretches then are you prepared to fish next to anyone?

There could be quite a few anyones fishing on your favourite stretch the next time you go. Will they have the same attitude tu fish welfare as you do? Will they catch and release?

I havent signed it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This petition, like the previous thread on here is pure and utter nonsense!

The idea is wholly unmanagable even if it could ever come to fruition.

I'll not waste my time siging it!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, a touch of deja moo (more bullshine) I've seen what's happened to the free (under an ancient charter) stretch of the Colne in Uxbridge in recent years. A bit of a no go area..................
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
So which clubs and landowners do you suggest should start allowing free fishing on their stretches of river?

Who will bailiff these free stretches?

If anyone is allowed to fish these free stretches then are you prepared to fish next to anyone?

There could be quite a few anyones fishing on your favourite stretch the next time you go. Will they have the same attitude tu fish welfare as you do? Will they catch and release?

I havent signed it.

Won't need a bailiff - free stretches on my river comprise about a half of its fishable length.

fish welfare and catch and release is a problem on your river?

I shall be fishing the free pond the local council provided for the people of Ipswich to enjoy. there will be kids fishing, bad practice etc, but we have to start somewhere. they are so keen to learn, they want to be shown how to do things properly. The reason it is so popular is that it is walking distance....

Miles of free river and I rarely if ever see a soul.

Free fishing - what are you afraid of???

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 ----------

Here's a point in case... wanted to fish the Wensum and was enquiring about day tickets. was informed very little day ticket left, as it is now mostly syndicated. now I find that OFFENSIVE!!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If wanted to fish anywhere within a 30 mile radius of where I live - would have to join a estimated 12-15 clubs. There are commercials at £10 a day and a little free fishing. Too many clubs with too much fishing available for their members only. The miles per bank to members ratio must be enormous in some cases.

Free fishing areas get so much pressure because there are so few of them which is why they often look so bad.

Many clubs have far more water than they need. I have seen little rudd pools for kids get snapped up by greedy clubs-Why?

That's why they never get fished. More free fishing will encourage more people to fish and could be managed.

What would be a good ratio of miles per membership per club? Should they be limited to this ratio?

agamemnon

Reaction score
there are plenty of free stretches of the thames near me and i cant stand fishing them, they are littered with rubbish and often filled with knobs drinking shed loads of beer shouting at each other and not paying any attention to fish care.
so no i wont be signing the petition. we need the clubs to help enforce the right attitude to fishing and keeping the banks maintained for good access to the water

barbelboi

Reaction score
We've had this thread recently and many clubs have a very reasonable membership fee and kids under 14 can usually go free if accompanied by an adult member.
Jerry

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes, I know we did Barbelboi; I don't really want to drag it all up again but, it is just a question of balance for me. There are lots of arguments for and against as usual and all right in their own way but, over the last 50 years more and more water has been requisitioned by private syndicates/clubs etc. Many of these waters dont get fished at all and the balance is not there. I also think more and more free water that exist now will not be in the future. Nothing against clubs; many are fair and do a lot of good but, redressing the balance and having a bit more free/day ticket water would not be a bad thing overall in my opinion.