wafter rig

elbow

Reaction score
hi can anyone give me advice as to what rig to use when using wafter baits thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd tend to use the same rigs as I would with a standard bottom bait. The advantage of the wafter being that it should counteract the weight of the hook and move more like an untethered freebie. Because of that, supple hooklinks are the order of the day. I can't see much point in using a wafter with a stiff hooklink.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Using a stiff hooklink, NO. But using a stiff/supple combi-rig is fine. As long as the bit at the hook is supple you cant go wrong. I tend to use the KD Rig with a wafter but without the shot, its simply not needed with a wafter! However, remember that your hook has to be heavy enough otherwise it'll act like a light pop up.
Any questions, check out the Carp Mad Man

All the best CMM.

Philip

Reaction score
I am not so up to date with all the new names for things but if a "wafter bait" is basically another term for a critically or neutrally balanced hook bait then i would suggest a combi link with the bit nearest the hook bait being flexible braid.

I messed about a bit in the past with setups like this and if the section of the hooklink nearest the lead is stiff enough and you match it with a critically balanced bait, you can get the rig to land/fall perfectly every time with the stiff section pushing the bait out away from the lead but still keeping that all important flexible section near the hook. It also means if a few Bream have a tug the rig keeps falling back into a good position after.

One thing to be aware of is to test your hookbait in a cup of water before, baits need to stay critically balanced because if they take on water and become too heavy the stiff part of the rig won't be able to push it away from the lead and it will fall in a crumpled heap.

Last edited:

fishmaduds

Reaction score
KD Rig most of the time........or if ultra clear water I use a Combi Link rig