It's happy hour.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Despite there being a couple of inches of snow on the ground last night, it cleared fairly quickly in the spring sunshine. There's still a strong and chilly north easterly blowing though. Despite all that, and in a distinct case of hope over expectation, I ventured out to my local pit. Predictably enough, the fish didn't interrupt proceedings at all. What was surprising was the appearance of a group of housemartins.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Early this year. I (and a couple of others) spotted four martins during the rather warm weather on Saturday.

Philip

Reaction score
My nature marker for the year is the appearance of swifts. Without fail they arrive between the last week of April and the first week of May. The first indication of thier presence being thier screeches from up high. A nice moment.

Reaction score
I await impatiently every year for the swifts Philip,I thought about putting nest boxes up for them as they nest around here quite well,trouble is I dont want something where the wood rots in a couple of years...

theartist

Reaction score
Swifts are always pretty late in the spring aren't they? I saw a butterfly yesterday not sure what type, reminded me of the first lockdown going for local walks and looking at all the different types, plus all the buzzards and kites. The blossom is now making my nose itch and there's buds everywhere on everything, you can't help but love spring.

Reaction score
There have been quite a few yellow butterflies about,on swifts,it is usually juveniles who return earliest,I believe the general nesting population arrive late May,they only stay for a short time before they do the off in early August....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have noticed the buds as well and a couple of big bees yesterday, spring is definitely on the move. My favorite time of the year and hoping to be able to take some bus rides into the countryside next month with my camera. Swifts come late here, I find it is only when it gets really hot they come swooping at the back of me, they fly right up to my big window, a pleasure to see them, so sometime June or July before I see them. Never seen Martins outside my block but get big collections of them on the beach in the autumn before they fly off to Africa. A lot of migrants start coming next month and a lot leave as well. Probably start seeing whitethroats and sedge warblers soon.
I have just sown some lettuces and spring onions in some little cell plugs and put them on my windowsill yesterday, I did well with them last year in the first lock down and I have replaced my black current bush with a Blueberry bush, the blackcurrant perished, maybe the wind, too high up and exposed so maybe the blueberry will do better.
All things to feel happy about and boy do we need it, just have to avoid the news and the BBC in particular, talk about wallow in it. I know it is bad and no one has more empathy than me but they just keep rubbing my face in it all day long. So, sod them, feels good, vaccinated, spring arriving and I can travel a bit next month and I will wallow in the spring countryside instead.

17c predicted for next week, that will be something.

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
I await impatiently every year for the swifts Philip,I thought about putting nest boxes up for them as they nest around here quite well,trouble is I dont want something where the wood rots in a couple of years...

In our old house swifts nested in the roof, we had a new roof (this is late 80s) and I quickly knocked up 4 rather basic swift nestboxes and located them up under the bargeboards. The swifts went in and used them every year, though the swift numbers reduced rapidly over the years - losing nesting sites has to be a major issue.
I could lie in bed and watch the young stick their heads out of the box, we loved seeing the first arrival screening round the house about 5 May. Great birds and miss them here as few in the valley.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Have seen small tortoiseshell,peacock and today the first brimstone of the year.Quite a few bumble bees ambling around.
Not seen swifts,martins or swallows yet.

bullet

Reaction score
The Sand Martins are already on the River here, they're always the first and have arrived pretty much on cue.
The House Martins haven't arrived yet, last year they arrived here on 6th April, but the year before not until the 22nd.

seth49

Reaction score
The sand Martins have arrived here as well, always the first, swallows probably the next, don’t get swifts till early May normally, already heard a chiff chaff and the curlews and lapwings are back on their nesting fields.

The frogs have started spawning in my pond, and the hawthorn leaves are starting to show as well, all the signs that spring is on its way, but with wintery showers forecast for tomorrow, winters isn’t over yet.

mikench

Reaction score
This reminds me of the butterflies I saw yesterday , peacocks mainly plus a few red admirals. I'm also convinced I saw a goshawk chasing a wood pigeon right in front of my car from rear to front as I drove very slowly on a pothole strewn road . I am seeing a pair of nuthatches daily at the feeders plus the usual great, blue and longtailed tits, robins and blackbirds.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This reminds me of the butterflies I saw yesterday , peacocks mainly plus a few red admirals. I'm also convinced I saw a goshawk chasing a wood pigeon right in front of my car from rear to front as I drove very slowly on a pothole strewn road . I am seeing a pair of nuthatches daily at the feeders plus the usual great, blue and longtailed tits, robins and blackbirds.
First swallow reported at Udimore in Sussex yesterday-
1616747232766.png

The Runner

Reaction score
Not seen any true spring migrants here yet, wheatears are usually first but no sign of any in one of their usual haunts this morning.
Skylarks reappearing though from wherever a bit further south they go to from here.

Winter visitors leaving, saw half a dozen Whooper Swans heading North today

sam vimes

Reaction score
No sign of swallows at the lake earlier this evening. The few martins of last weekend are now a veritable horde.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A twitchier has reported lots of swallows on the coast of Northern France last week although I thought it would be southern France. Maybe they are waiting for a favorable wind but shouldn't be long.