I cant float fish!!!

Beaker

Reaction score
I posted recently that my float fishing skills LOL were poor, well they are worse than poor, Icant even plumb the depth.
It takes so long that I usually put the float rod to one side and fish witha straight lead, HELP

dangermouse

Reaction score
Take a look at this, it might help. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mbRbTWIvo]How to Float Fish with Matt Hayes -Full - YouTube[/ame]

nicky

Reaction score
Plumming the depth is easy if u use the right set up i can remember struggling when i first started.
I use a preston pellet waggler adapter on the line, (i cut mine down a bit to make it more aerodynamic) this takes no weight.
I clip a large buoyant float on, usually not the float i intend on using for fishing.
Attach the plummet and swing out.
As your using a large float and there is no weight on the line the float will either disappear if your set under depth, or pop out of the water.
If there is 6 inches of float showing thats how much over depth you are, if it lies flat you are well over depth.
I like to pay a bit of line off so the line to the float is nice and slack so the float can rise to the surface natuarally and your not putting an angle between the plummet and float which may give you slightly false depth readings.
Adjust the float untill just the tip is showing.
Take hook and insert it into the foam / cork right at the base of you rod, take some tippex or a marker and line the float up against the rod and mark where the orange tip is on your rod.
Unclip this heavy float and put the float on you want to use and if necessary slide the float untill the tip of the float is level with the mark you made on your rod.

The main thing i find is by having no weight on your line and using a big buyount float you make the whole procedure very easy, the worst thing you can do is load the float in anyway as it becomes much harder to read what going on when trying to adjust the float to the correct height.

Beaker

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, I will give the advice a try the next time I go.

Rob

bennygesserit

Reaction score
yes I also struggle with this using a different float is something that never occurred to me

dezza

Reaction score
I know that Matt Hayes often gets a lot of flak from some people, but this presentation on float fishing is spot on and contains most if not all the elements for a beginner to get started on fishing the waggler in still water.

The importance of balancing one's tackle cannot be over-emphasised. I often see young people and older anglers too who are using out of balanced gear. They often get tempted to purchase cheap and nasty tackle. You can't go wrong with decent mid-priced tackle.

Also the importance of feeding. As Matt says this must be done little and often, a small pouch of maggots every minute or so

Beaker

Reaction score
Sorry, a bit more info please. What are the best floats to use for canals and stillwaters, and could you make any i e wagglers yourself to save money?:)

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
Beaker,
With regards to lakes, what type are you fishing? What species you fishing for?
I have some wagglers which are 24" long, designed to cut through the upper tow on big venues, these would be no good on smaller, shallower places.
There are lots out there for you to choose from, the drennan crystal range are half decent.
Canal wise, if you can get canal greys (probably ebay) they are cracking little floats, also the old image squatt/pinkie floats.

You can make yourself, but i would advise buying some first, so you know what you would need to make.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Wagglers are what I use most of the time although I do occasionally use pole floats.

You could certainly make them although I don`t know how much you`d save. If you don`t buy "named" floats you can probably pick up 2 or 3 wagglers for about £1.

Beaker

Reaction score
Thanks again chaps, it,s all going in. I am going to fish a small club lake with tench, bream, carp, roach, crucians and perch.
It is roundish in shape with a central islad and looks perfect for float fishing.
As to floats, Ihave been lookin on the web and what I think is a good mixed set in a tube on the go outdoors website, 50 floats for £21.99.