In line rods

B

Bill Cox

I was watching old crooked tooth on the box this morning(the shame of it) and he was going on about a new breakthrough called the inline rod. The program was so old that old bighead had not yet been pilloried enough to try and disguise his ego. I remember when these first came out and i nearly bought one but there was some concern about distance casting with them so i never bothered. What ever happened to them and why do you think they never caught on??

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
My local tackle shop sold one around thirty years ago. From memory it was built on a Fibatube glass blank and was designed for floatfishing. Whilst the concept of tangle free was OK the reality was that theline stuck to the insides like nobody's business and it was useless for trotting. Poor bloke who boughtdidn't use it for long. When carbon fibre came in shortly afterwards the concept was dead, at least for coarse rods.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The concept of the in-line rod is very old. JW Martin the Trent Otter wrote in the late 19th century of such a rod he had built using bored out East India canefor the stalking of big chub on the Great Ouse.

The first fish he hooked with it, collapsed it.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I am sure i remember these style of rods being re-marketed etc.... a ew years ago,especially for the specimen fishermen???

I clearly remember my dad using one in the seventies,fishing for roach on the river ise in kettering.

W

Wolfman Woody

Always thought they were a gimmick.

Maybe ok for sea fishing, 6-7foot boat rods, but precious little else. Stalking rod as Frothey says, maybe. I'd always be worried about the wear inside the tube.

T

Tony Rocca

The Spaniards use them all the time, about 18ft longwith a silly little reel right at the foot.

C

Cakey

Im in the middle of building a stalking rod ....Im using ring liners to stop the wear inside

not sure what reel to use yet ......................

C

Cakey

Im worried about the side to side action with the "butt hole" on the small side

steveo

Reaction score
Bill i remember them.A mate of mine tested a pair of the Diawa inline carp rod's for a weekend before he bought them.Needless to say they went straight back to his mate at the tackle shop.The immediately noticable problem was that blanket weed chocked them up very quickly.Not much good for carping on weedy lakes then.Never saw much about them after that.

B

Bill Cox

I remember back then i was into sea fishing and i was interested in the beach rod. You could only get them down here by mail order. I was seriously thinking of getting one but in the end i listened to the scaremongers going on about friction burns to the line and cutting down on distance. I remember thinking about the seaweed clogging the inlet/outlet slots myself. Pity really because i'm sure today with the advancement of manufacturing engineering processes it could be sorted out.

darkuser80

Reaction score
Did not fox market one, as stated above, a stalker, Andy Little used it .... I seem to remember....

F

Frothey

how are you going to keep an eye on all three rods when stalking Cakey. Especially if your asleep?