centerpin wierdness

xenon

Reaction score
wonder if anyone else has had this? My "B J" centerpin has started to run like an asthmatic 80 year old for no apparent reason-well looked after, cleaned and oiled [sewing machine oil] after every trip, not been bashed, dropped etc. Can only think to have it serviced by Masterline-anyone had any experience of similar? Cheers in advance for any advice.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nope, I've one of the original Youngs BJ lightweights and it still runs perfectly (and so it should) even though I'm probably slightly less meticulous than you in the regularity of a strip down and clean.
Jerry
PS, just a thought, if it's a wobble the spokes might need adjusting.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
wonder if anyone else has had this? My "B J" centerpin has started to run like an asthmatic 80 year old for no apparent reason-well looked after, cleaned and oiled [sewing machine oil] after every trip, not been bashed, dropped etc. Can only think to have it serviced by Masterline-anyone had any experience of similar? Cheers in advance for any advice.

If you mean it's rumbling and bumping when spun quite quickly then it sounds lik the bearings. Some of them actually do this from new ! Just give masterline a bell and they'll advise you what to do.
Be interesting to hear how you go on and what the prob is :).

xenon

Reaction score
'If you mean it's rumbling and bumping when spun quite quickly then it sounds lik the bearings. Some of them actually do this from new ! Just give masterline a bell and they'll advise you what to do.
Be interesting to hear how you go on and what the prob is'

Tigger-it's made strange noises from new-ran perfectly well, so thought no more of it.
Just had another look/clean out. Split ring fell out of the spool part of the reel-tried it anyway and nows runs as well as before. WTF? Hard to see what this split ring contributes to the set-up and wether it really matters or not. More confused than before, but glad it runs nicely again.