THE Weekly Angling Newspaper

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

We've got a couple of threads running about the angling weekliesas I write that are loaded with the usual negativecomments and petty insults about toilet paper, etc.

Right, so, if you were appointed as the publisher of a brand new angling weekly, what would you do to turn all those negative comments into positive ones - and at the same time increase the weekly sales and make more profit.

Unlike those who already publish angling weeklies we won'tassume you have anyexperience of journalism, or of publishing angling journals, and that you haven't done any formal researchso that youknow exactly what the angler in the street wants. Unlike those who already publish the weeklies, who obviously don't want to increase their sales and make a profit, you do; in fact your job depends on it.

So here's your platform to turn that not-so-constructive criticism into a plan that will turn the weekly angling newspaper industry on its head and make us all actually buy a copy instead of reading it in the supermarket.

So, over to you, let's read your plan of how you would produce a weekly that outsells all the other 'toilet paper', satisfies the majority of anglers, and makes a profit..........

(Certain commentsin my posting are 'tongue in cheek', which ones I leave you to decide.)

T

The Monk

you need to sell papers regardless, you are not init for the love of angling you are in it for a profit, anglers want to know how to be more successful, they want to learn and increase their knowledge, you are going to do that for them, you will never satisfy everyone so you need to target specific your audience, you are not interested in those who have seen it all and worn the T-shirt although it would be nice to get a few of those on your side too.

F

Fred Bonney

You'll probably find, that many of those that spout on about the weeklies, are the same ones who stand in Asda, while the wife does the shopping, and read them from cover to cover.

They are also the ones who spout off about everything in the bar,but never buy a beer back, and reallyknow buggerall,about anything.

Fortunately, after years of practice,I think I can spot them a mile off now.

Anyway, me set up a weekly? Nah, I stopped buying them because the news was old, and so were many of the features.

That is the problem

So, I have an annual subscription to the monthlies. At the moment,TCF, before that CF, and before that IYCF.

All of them are generally good for a year or so, and then I go back to one of the others,because they've freshened up.

In todays world you need to be fast and up to date.

So, I would, if I was capable,which I'm not,start up Fishing Magic, and do it the same as this site.

Except I'd cut out Bait Box, becauseI think it attracts the wrong responses, and infects the rest of the site.

and

Any non justifiable rants/knocks by posters ,would be deleted as soon as they start, the poster would be advised, if they had nothing positive to add to the site,then they should go elsewhere.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A bit Mondayish are we Fred?

To start a weekly angling paper with fresh ideas that most anglers would buy would be a daunting, if not impossible task for an experienced angling journalist let alone some of us muppets on here. We are very quick to criticise but in general have very little to offer in the way of constructive ideas on how to produce a magazine that maintains an interest week after week or month after month.

I am a reader and contributor of CF and Waterlog but I read other mags if they come my way though I don't buy them and I think they are pretty good value for money in general and I for one certainly couldn't do as good a job as they do let alone a better one.

blankety blank

Reaction score
I don't buy that many fishing mags anymore, same for golf mags too. The major reason is that the same old content keeps coming round and round.

I used to subscribe to pike and Predator some years ago. this was at the time of the Blithfield "scandal" and the expulsions/resignations from the PAC. The issue dominated the editorials and letters pages for at least a year, and iIgot heartily sick of it. Likewise, there surely must be a limit to how many articles Mr Kelbrick can write about lure fishing.

Three quarters of teh content of Angling Times/Mail is of no interest to me. Guides to fisheries in Cornwall/Durham etc. Pole fishing articles. Match fishing reports. Sea Fishing. Perfectly valid subjects but of no interest to me. That leaves me with two or three pages to read, and a whole bunch of adverts.

It's simply not enough bang for my buck.

F

Fred Bonney

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifJust seeing if I get any bites,Graham.

The Severn trip has wet my appetite,should have been out today...but waiting for something!!!

Still there's still tomorrow, with Mick Howson to look forward to.

T

The Monk

if you cut baitbox out Fred I`ll be homeless/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
how about one that covers all of angling.

a few pages a week to what affects angling, minimum sizes, poaching, rspb, ACA, etc.

humor, light hearted reading, like Kevin Perkins.

split some pages into regions, and list catch reports, sea, carp, river, pike etc. not in detail, just basics, ie solent plenty of coddling, river so and so levels low/high/on flood watch.

a few bits on techniques, casting, rigs etc, but as an informative piece rather then a disguised advert.

readers questions/letters.

something for everyone.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I would like to see the features being done on some different waters ,instead of the same venues being featured week in week out.
With that I would have the angler from the paper visiting peoples club waters and seeing how they would tackle it to how the local lads would .
Definatly some fresh faces would be brought in ,from different regions and let them have a say on whats hot and whats not in angling at the moment in their neck of the woods.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
When I was a young lad I used to love the junior section of A.T.

They had competitions with prizes, kids love to win prizes and awards.

I remember the "Rodbenders" competition and another regional specimen competition. I caught a 2.5lb chub which won me an award and badge and got my name printed in the A.T. I was chuffed to bits and couldn't wait to get my copy of A.T every week.

The A.T and A.M should concentrate their thoughts on bringing youngsters back into angling. So bring back competitions like these, with some nice prizes that kids would cherrish. FM could also have a junior section too.

That's one thing I would do.

F

Fred Bonney

You could gobivvying again, Nick!/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

J K

Reaction score
How do you please all thereaders all of the time? That seems to me the question thatcannot be answered, certainly something way beyond my capabilities.

I agree with blankety blank that the majority contentof the weeklies hold little or no interest for me. What I would like to see however is smaller photographs of the celebrity anglers and some of the illustrations, better diagrams of set ups etc. more discussion and a larger readers letters section.

I suppose this is a bit like choosing a newspaper to read, the way the articles are written and content, what appeals to some will be a turn off for others and vice versa.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've never knocked the weeklies, they do as they want, but like the curate's egg, there's good bits and bad bits.

I really wouldn't mind seeing a return to the 60s style of writing and content, but where they would maybe gain me as a reader, they'd lose twenty others.

It would be nice to see Kevin Perkins in there. <u>Go on Kevin, give 'em what's what!</u>

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Articles on how to improve your fishing to focus more on watercraft rather than taking a painting by numbers type approach

More news about what is actually happening in angling

Proper campaigns on behalf of angling about real issues e.g.RSPB buying up fisheries

A section devoted toreporting of news and details of events from the major angling organisations e.g. Carp Society, Barbel Society, Chub Study Group, FACT, ECHO, ACA, NFA, SAA

A clear policy of refusing to publish photos where the welfare of the fish has been put at risk

Tackle reviews carried out by independent testers

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
How about a weekly with no 'names' at all? Articles contributed by real anglers at accessible venues. Concise regional reports, including game and sea, a strong junior section.

Features on peripheral items such as the work of bailiffs, fish farms, the work of tackle manufacturers (not advertorials!)Honest equipment reviews. A letters page which stimulates and encourages healthy debate.

But above all, an editorial policy which promotes angling and the issues that affect it. Campaigning, even confrontationaljournalism if required.For example, if the RSPB want to exclude anglers from sites, then birdwatchers should be forced to payfor a day ticket on waters they don't control

And Alan + Woody

"Humor, light hearted reading, like Kevin Perkins"

Just when I almost give up on the funny stuff 'cos I think I'm going nowhere, you tell me there is a might be a call for it after all. This neweditor's thinkingis going to be diametrically opposed to the current encumbents, that's for sure!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

So far we've had plans that would makea weeklywhat you as an individual would like to read. What I asked for was a plan that would sell more copies than are already being sold and show the current publishers where they're going wrong.

Never forget that you're in business to make a profit, or you go out of business, it's as simple as that. So forget what you want to read and think about what the majority want to readandcome up with a plan for weekly that will sell more copies than the two weeklies that attract so much criticism.

Already there are signs that the task isn't as easy as some may think.

Remember, the plan has to appeal to the majority,sell more copies and thereforemake more profit thanthe weekliesalready on offer.

Over to you.....

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
As a novice I would like to see more reviews of gear that's more affordable, not everybody can afford rods for £100+ or reels for £70+.

The problem is that there is too much advertising but again the adverts is what makes a big percentage of the profit.

I was shocked to see a full page with 'hotline' numbers in the AT, in fact, as a female angler I was rather insulted.

Remember, the plan has to appeal to the majority,sell more copies and thereforemake more profit thanthe weekliesalready on offer.

I agree with you Graham but aren't we the majority?So many don't bother with buying the weeklies anymore.

Last page of the AM...True life stories of a top angler....why not print some stories of someone who doesn't stand in the spot light all the time and writes amusing but also educational at the same time.

WE WANT Kevin Perkins write ups

W

Wolfman Woody

"Tackle reviews carried out by independent testers" - & - "Honest equipment reviews."

Funnily enough, that's exactly what Graham and I were speakign about this very morning. How with some mags all you get is a description of the product and what it's supposed to do, stuff that you could easily obtain from a photograph even and often quoting the manufacturer's puff.

(Puff: a word used to describe exagerated praise ie: in an advert)

I can see what you guys are saying - you want it like we do it on here. Real testing - IN THE FIELD - actually catching some fish or dealing with them in some way. That's the way I had to do it when I worked for Coarse Angling, often Colin, the editor, said "Use that and go and catch me a 4lb chub." It's THE only way to produce credible reviews.