Flyfishing for Coarse Fish by Dominic Garnett

goonch

Reaction score
I've just had a flick through this book today and it looks a really good read. Well written, his enthusiasm comes across very well indeed and he clearly knows his stuff. Definitely one of the better young angling writers coming through the ranks.

I regularly target coarse fish on fly and I reckon this will be on my bookshelf very soon.

Worth a look - FLYFISHING FOR COARSE FISH: PIKE, RUDD, CARP, ROACH, PERCH, BARBEL, CHUB, ZANDER, DACE, TENCH, BREAM, AND OTHER FISH. | All Fishing Books | Coch-y-Bonddu Books | COCH-Y-BONDDU BOOKS LTD

:w

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Will make a note to buy this book, Dom Garnett is in my opinion a name to watch out for, his writing is superb.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to see a young enthusiast. But PLEASE don't let any salesman convince you that you are going to need a £600 Big Brand American stick and super-dragged minor tarpon flyreel for our very modest, British coarse fish - you won't, you will merely be funding their trips to the Kola Peninsula and Tierra del Fuego.

Last edited:

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
I shall be reviewing a copy of thi in the near future, along with Dom,s English version/ update of "fishing for dummies" and Dom will also hopefully be submitting to Fishing Magic on a more regular basis too.

I agree with a lot of what others have said about Dom, when I was briefly editor of the ill fated "Fish n Tips" Dom was set to be one of the regular writers and one of the articles that was due for future publication about a trip fishing in New York was about as good a piece of writing as I have read by any angling writer.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Doesn't seem a year ago does it, I know there were dissenting voices but that could have evolved into something different and good.

Nevermind, get Dom on here and Fishing Magic moves up yet another gear!

I'm having to learn some of your fishing skills, its all lures, lives and jigs over here!

dezza

Reaction score
Good to see a young enthusiast. But PLEASE don't let any salesman convince you that you are going to need a £600 Big Brand American stick and super-dragged minor tarpon flyreel for our very modest, British coarse fish - you won't, you will merely be funding their trips to the Kola Peninsula and Tierra del Fuego.

Good point, you have made me want to say something here - new thread:

Reaction score
There will be a DVD to accompany the book soon too, filmed by my mahseer mucker Steve Lockett from V2V...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8m-UqI698"]Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish[/ame]

More of Steve's filming here...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2fMeraC2dE"]Anglers Mail Vid[/ame]

Well done Dom, it's been a mammoth project!

Look forward to catching up soon... still trying to persuade Jim to come down to yours for a crack at those elusive canal tench :)

Last edited:

joby

Reaction score
most course fish will eat any thing , i enjoy getting the fly rod out and catching course fish had lots of carp to 11lb , barbel to 8lb chub to 7lb , but one of the clubs i belong has banned it , i very rarely fish for trout , the day tickets are too expensive for a pensioner like me

joby

Reaction score
it just says no fly fishing ,

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

GENERAL BYE-LAWS

No Member shall be allowed to fish Association waters without their Membership Card, which must be produced at the request of any Member or Official.

No Member shall lend or transfer their Membership Card to another person, on penalty of expulsion.

Fishing on the canal is allowed only from the Tow Path. No fishing is allowed from the Opposite Bank, Bridges or Locks.

On Association water which are permanently pegged, fishing is only permitted from those permanent pegs, under no circumstances are anglers to fish between the pegs, on other Association waters no angler shall fish within 10yds of another angler without their permission.

The use of night lines is strictly forbidden.

Fishing from boats on Association waters is not permitted.

Fly fishing is Prohibited.

The playing of portable radios, etc. is not permitted. However the playing of personal stereos which do not interfere with other Members is acceptable.

Swimming and boating is prohibited, Wading is not permitted on Association ponds and the canal.

No Member shall damage or interfere with trees or shrubs, neither shall they interfere with the wildlife.

Cycling on Association waters is forbidden, Members wishing to take cycles to their pegs must walk them.

Members shall at all times remain within the boundaries of the Association waters and must not trespess on adjoining land.

No unauthorised Member shall interfere in any way with any devices which control the flow into or out of Association waters.

No person shall place a fish into Association waters without consent of the committee.

Matches printed in the Membership Card take precedence over individual Members.

No individual is permitted to use more than two attended rods.

With the exception of the River Wye (by-law) all fish caught in Association waters must be returned unharmed on the completion of fishing.

On Association waters on the River Wye all coarse fish must be returned unharmed to the water on completion of fishing, except that Members are permitted to use dace and bleak only for live baiting, the live bait must be caught in Association waters in the River Wye, dead baiting is permitted providing the dead bait is dace or bleak caught at the water or a species of sea fish. All game fish caught must be returned unharmed immediately to the water unless the captor holds a current Association permit to fish for salmon and other game fish on the water.

Nylon line, shot, hooks etc. Must not be left on the bank.

Any person seen fishing on Association waters by a Bailiff or other Official with litter on or around their peg, even though they may not have deposited that litter, will be asked to leave the water unless the litter is cleared up immediately by that person and subsequently taken away. If any person fails to comply with such a request they will be liable to further disciplinary action.

Night fishing on Association waters is restricted to season permits only.

Junior Members are not permitted to night fish unless they are accompanied by a Senior Member over 21yrs who will be responsible for them. Camping and lighiting fires is prohibited. When fishing Associated waters at night the only permissable lights are small torches to be used for unhooking and baiting, and are not to be illuminated for long periods.

No night fishing is permitted on Assiciated waters on the River Wyer at Symonds Yat and lower Bigsweir and waters on the River Usk.

Newport A.A.Members will be held responsible for the action of any Non-member who accompanies them whilst fishing Association waters.

Keepnets may be used but they must be at least 6 ft. in length with a minimum diameter of 18" the mesh must be knotless and no larger than minnow mesh, keepnets must not be overcrowded with fish, if a Bailiff or other Official should request that a keepnet be emptied then every Member must comply.

All Members fishing Association waters must be in possession of a landing net.

The use of any form of fixed rig for carp fishing is prohibited on all Association waters the Beach Caster Rig for carp fishing can only be used in open water under no circumstances must the rig be cast onto the islands or onto marginal vegetation.

Any person who is fishing specially for carp or pike on Association waters must use a line of at least 15lbs. In addition the angler must be equipped with a landing net with arms of at least 36" in length, and an unhooking mat which must be used. Junior Anglers are not permitted to fish specially for carp unless they are accompanied by a competent Angler.

The use of coloured maggots is permitted providing they are coloured with non toxic dye.

The use of tinned baits direct from the tin is prohibited, the bait should be brought to the water in a baitbox or similar.

Any fish caught in a match on Association waters that exceeds the current Association weight record for that species of fish will automatically be accepted as the Associated record.

Anglers fishing Spytty Pond must under NO circumstances park their car on the grass verges. They must use the car parks provided.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

the rules were taken from Newport angling association , web site

dezza

Reaction score
No fly fishing allowed on the River Wye or River Usk!!!!

But these are traditionally great fly fishing streams.

Well I'll be damned!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
Could be other issues for the ban if the venue isn't suitable for fly-fishing, like catching passers-by on the back cast.

On the subject of coarse fish on the fly; I've done a bit and found that the Sawyer's Killer Bug and variations on colour, particularly towards rusty / orange are good flies for roach, rudd and perch. For large perch try Apps Bloodworms or tie a similar pattern using thicker brown latex and whip in an orange band to resemble a lobworm. Epoxy minnows also work well for me. Dries; I mainly use Elk Hair Caddis and CDC buzzers and often hang a small PTN from the bend NZ style. This is good for summer chub.

Don't expect bites to be obvious like when trout fishing. The takes will be far more subtle and require a quick strike. When you can regularly catch dace on a wet fly you'll be ready to fly fighter jets! :D