A Week on the Kennet

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Well done Brendan. A nice write up of what sound like a very good trip! I'm very envious of you having all that time on the Kennet! I've had quite a few trips with Martin now, and you're right in what you say. How he does it, I don't know, but he just somehow knows when you're going to get a bite. I've sat there watching my rod tip like a hawk, and seen nothing, not even a twitch, but he'll suddenly say "get ready", and then the rod bends round.

I'm sure it's all down to watercraft, and the many years he's spent fishing and studying the rivers and lakes and fish behaviour. I'm sure you learnt loads that you'll be able to put to good use in the future. I know I have.

Did he put you to shame with his agility and fitness? He certainly did me!Hard to believeit was his 70th birthday last week.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on with these new tactics on the Ribble now you're home. He's taking me out again shortly, to help me catch my first barbel. I can't wait!

Reaction score
thankyou for the kind words janet i dont think my write up does wot martin and will did for me justice . martin took a week out of his busylife to show me how he fishis . will was allways around and willingto give his time to help me . I got on whith both off them really well i am off fishing with martin in a few weeks and chat and text will quite alot about anything . They really are both top guys

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Brendan,

that was a briliant write up mate. You obviously took note of what the lads told you. Well done to all three of you.

I like the way in which your story unfolded. At first you had lots of doubt, and gradually, you knew what to look for, and were catching them by yourself. Now that was a story about an angler, and not just a fish. Brilliant! A.T. take note. (-:

MJ

Reaction score
Nice article Brendan. I have been to the Kennet with my namesake a couple of times, and it's a great place to learn your trade 'back to basics style' as Martin fishes. He is a true all-round angler.Martin is living proof that watercraft and great big lumps of breadcrust can bethe most important parts of an anglers' armoury.

I laughed when I read about when he produced his 'shark hooks'! They work though, and I have been using size 4s and 6s barblessfor chub and barbel ever since he converted me too!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Brendan, sounds like you all had a great time.

I think sometimes it doesn't matter how much you read, you can't beat hands on advice.

And hats off to Martin and Will, they sound like two lovely guys willing to give something back to angling. Good on them.

Reaction score
A great article Brendan and as Baz said a story about the angler rather than just the fish that you caught , it took a lot of bottle on two counts for what you did : fishing a week on a new water with a chap you had never met who new what he was talking about and writing a article for FM , well done mate ./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Well done Brendan,brilliant write up of your trip.

There are still some good guys out there!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Brendan, well done mate your write up of it was great! Well done on catching on your own, there is no better feeling than catching on your own, knowing you did it all by yourself. Me, you and Janet should meet up soon and have a day on the Ribble together.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Good write up Brendan, like the lads have said it would be nice to read a few more articles about yourfishing adventures. I also concur with Bazthat it was a story about an angler, and not just a fish. Re the Ribble Fish-in it will be early next year, unless one of you Lads or Lasses out there fancy organising one before Christmas, our Lass is in hospital as a write (everything OK so far)so between now and Christmas I'll be preoccupied looking after her and our small holding, although I'll probably get a few night trips on the Ribble.

Paul C

Reaction score
Well done Brendan.

I've had a good look around the Kennet when down there with work and float fished the canalised bit in the centre of Newbury.

The photo of the path looks typical of some of the stretches and I thought I'd been there!!.

I am always amazed how accomodating Martin James is towards anglers he's never met before and he seems a true gent. There's not many people about who would put themselves out to that extentto help a stranger.

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Nice write up Brendan,glad you enjoyed your week on the Kennet.Even though the crystal clear water of yesteryear has all but disappeared its still a lovely river to fish.Im lucky enough to live within a few miles of the kennet and if i dont get onto its banks at least one day a week i start to suffer severe withdrawl symptoms!!

Paul C. the kennet in newbury is on of the few free stretches of the river but it does hold some good fish.Its this time of year when it starts to fish well.

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
Nice write up brendan ,very honest too,i enjoyed reading,

thanks a lot

paul/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Paul C

Reaction score
Andy

Yes, I fished it on the free stretch near the library and caught it well as it was moving through nice.

I had a really enjoyable afternoon with some lovely perch in a mixed catch. I had my first and only 2lb+ perch from there..... Just a few too many swans and lots of kids having a canoe lesson from some junior social club on the far side!!

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Paul.

Dont know if your aware of this but there is free fishing between the lock and the footbridge{upstream of the Lock Stock & Barrel}.You should find it a bit quieter there,no swans less people and better fishing than Newbury Wharf.

Paul C

Reaction score
Cheers Andy

I am not sure where that bit is, butif I am down there again, I'll contact you for details andhow to get there if that is OK?

Reaction score
thankyou all for the replys i a touched you like it . a couple off people have asked me how i managed too get the invite the trueth is i dont know i just emailed him and got one i dont know how he even managed to read it ? john i hope youre wife has a speedy recovery . wendy i would love to go fishing with you and janet but i would have to bring bryan along to evan the numbers up . paul i think we must be on the same wave length i wonted too show the beauty off the river that and people have looked at photos off barbel but might not off looked at photos off the kennet ?

Deanos

Reaction score
I must eco what all the other boys and girls have said Brendan, a lovely article...it made me wanna get out and fish! We are not all experts, and some of the points you raised were very relevant to my own fishing. I hope you post more articles in the future. You painted a nice picture of your surroundings with words. If I have the pleasure of seeing a King Fisher give me a free flypast...that is my day made. Good stuff mate.

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Hi Paul

No problem mate,let us know when you are coming down and i will e mail directions

Tight lines Andy

Paul C

Reaction score
Cheers Andy.

I've nothing in the pipeline. But our IT supplier is based down there, so the odd trip comes up from time to time. I go down the day before and take some gear along!!