Harbour Conger

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hello folks,I am looking at making a few outings to some harbours in Wales Almwch and Holyhead and would like to ask a few questions about conger.
What strength line would I need?
Can I fish a simple running leger, rather like a barbel rig but beefed up.
Do I need a wire trace?
What size hooks do I need or is two hooks needed?
Am I looking to put the rig up against the harbour wall?
Can they be targeted at day time?
How much are drop nets or can I rig one up myself?
Will my beach caster be alright it can chuck nine ounce so it says?
Would you reccomend a tripod or can it be put on harbour walls?
Any information would be very helpful and local knowledge would also be great thanks Barbus.

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
Depends on the size of fish you will possible encounter . A running lead will be fine although used to use coathangers to make a boom ( boat fishing that was ). We used to use 200lb mono for traces crimped up as if they were wire .You will need something as congers teeth with shred light mono.
For bootlaces 15lb line would do but again it all depends on the make p of the botttom .
Drop net would be handy if fishing from a height also whats called a "T" bar would be also usefull for unhooking .Its a length of metal with a small hook at one end and a handle on the other you slide it down the line till the hook is actually on the bend of the fishing hook ,start to lift the fish whilst dropping your trace down the side of the fish this puts all the weight of the fish onto the hook( Which is now pointing downwards and therefore the fish pulls the hook out itself .No fingers in the way or anything .
Ps there was a Conger that we were trying to catch and land at Mevigissey harbour .It used to live in a hole in the side of the Harbour ,even with 50lb boatrods we were unable to get it as the fish used to retreat into its lair unstoppable and the line used to part on the stones .Divers were afraid of it as it was over 6ft long and couldnt therefore do any repairs until it was gone.

Best at night .Size of hook depends on the bait and size of the fish again .Anything from a 4/0 to a 7 or 8/0
A tripod could be used no probs but use a night light on the rod tip .

A beachcaster would be fine for smaller fish and if casting is needed however a boat rod would do just as well if you were just dropping it over the side

Last edited:

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Oiks much appreciated.
I cant understand why I hadnt thought of fishing for them before all the time at the coast in my younger years ,there seems something primevil about this creature and the catching of it ,really got me going and looking forward to a trip ,plus hiring a boat isnt cheap but why bother when there are monsters under the rod tip all year round.
They always seem devoid of anglers as well which seems strange .
Is the inside of the wall worth a punt?