Angling Magazines

dezza

Reaction score
In a recent PM to my self, Mark Brailsford raised the subject of angling magazines.

Throughout the years, I have taken and read a whole host of fishing magazines produced in various countries, from UK across Europe and from the USA to Australia. I have also contributed to many of these magazines on all sorts of angling and outdoor subjects.

Recently, a couple of magazines have disappeared, and yet a few others have appeared. I hope the ones that exist now are viable and grow from strength to strength. I like magazines and I'm always pleased to see interesting articles as well as plenty of quality advertising from the top companies.

Quite a few readers of angling magazines constantly complain about the amount of advertising in these publications. My comment here is that they shouldn't complain. A magazine exists on the value of the advertising it can sell; without advertising revenue the magazine will fold.

There are in fact some real quality magazines out there which will appeal to all types of angler. If you are an all round big fish hunter, Coarse Angling Today is number one. If you are a coarse angling beginner, well you can't beat Improve your Coarse Fishing.

Carp Anglers are extremely well catered for. For up to date news there is the excellent weekly - Carp Talk. For in depth techniques, Crafty Carper and Carp World, are worthy of investigation. There are also several magazines which cater for the match angler and the angler hunting predators.

There is even a magazine that caters for the classic angler among us. It's actually called; Classic Angling and covers subjects as wide as antique tackle and auctions, to all aspects of angling history world wide. It's a magazine that has become a favourite of mine in recent months. Don't look for it on the bookshelves though, it's only available on subscription.

Finally there is my local magazine Angling Star which is produced by Sheffield Newspapers. I have contributed probably more in my life to magazines in this group than any other and the articles can be numbered in the hundreds.

So the magazines I take on a regular basis are Coarse Angling Today, Classic Angling, Trout Fisherman and Angling Star.

What do you read?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't routinely read any magazines. I've no desire to subscribe to any magazine and I don't generally go anywhere a decent newsagent that has a reasonable selection. I've heard of mostof the titles out there but there are more than the odd one or two that I've never seen.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
There's a treat in store for you guys - I'm just re-reading Dave Steuart's old Angling magazine articles which have been published as a book Angling with Dave Steuart. I rememebr them as being good but... they are much better than that, excellent stuff. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
None of them in recent years, but I'm always up for a good book - thanks Geoff.
Jerry

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
I honestly believe that by not buying magazines a lot of anglers are missing out, ok not all the time, but tyere are little edges and ruses that come out from time to time that help put the odd extra fish in the bag.

Personally I buy Coarse angling today and Pike and Predators magazines regularly, sometimes carpworld and of course the mail and the times

smallbreamboy

Reaction score
I cheat and half a flick through them in the shop, if anything that i really want, then buy the mag.

stikflote

Reaction score
Idont buy any of them, but occasionally get given Angling Times by a friend
of mine i have a quick look at it ,but i would not want to buy it ,
any fishing questions can asked and answered on the various forums.

freebird7

Reaction score
I only buy when theres an article Im really interested in or a decent freebie. £3.20 for a little tackle box for your bits and bobs and some reading material included is pretty decent :D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I dont buy any any more, same old same old just new names and new "celebrities" and new brands. Who cares?. Adverts? who wants to read that?.

Get more pleasure reading through old fishermans handbooks from the 1970s, old Coarse Fisherman magazines or books.

Used to get them for the match results - when there were decent matches to read about. Who needs to read Johnnys latest 30Ib carp from an undisclosed Berkshire pit.

Interesting thing is that if i ever did catch anything newsworthy theres no way i would report it. Seen too many circuses result from it. As i dont chase such things either, theres no point reading the stories.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If they rely on advertising for revenue; could they not be cheaper to buy; like 50p. More people might buy them and they wouldn't mind the advertising so much as the paper is so cheap.

dezza

Reaction score
Well other than Mark Barrett's comment, what a tale of woe. Based on what has been said here, magazines appear to have no future.

Personally I think the ephemeral articles are turned into something more permanent on glossy paper. And there appears to be growth in specific areas and not in others. Coarse Angling Today is showing positive growth which is good because the editorial team on this magazine are top class. And the biggest selling monthly by far is the magazine with most adverts - Improve Your Coarse Fishing.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
There's a treat in store for you guys - I'm just re-reading Dave Steuart's old Angling magazine articles which have been published as a book Angling with Dave Steuart. I rememebr them as being good but... they are much better than that, excellent stuff. :)

Where do you obtain the book Geoff

sam vimes

Reaction score
Based on what has been said here, magazines appear to have no future.

I rather suspect that regular forum users, which most of those that have replied are, are not really the target demographic. I know that a friend of mine that in most other respects is very similar to me, but isn't a forum regular, buys magazines on a regular basis.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only buy magazines now and again as I found I was spending too much on them!
The ones I buy are course angling today (I really miss course fisherman) and pike and predator, I also have started to buy the odd copy of Carp world, which, even though is quite expensive, has some really quality articles in it.

Mark

chav professor

Reaction score
I like to buy coarse angling today, occasionally pike and predator, the weeklies once in a while.

I could do with reading a really good article on live baiting for perch!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmaynard
There's a treat in store for you guys - I'm just re-reading Dave Steuart's old Angling magazine articles which have been published as a book Angling with Dave Steuart. I rememebr them as being good but... they are much better than that, excellent stuff.

Where do you obtain the book Geoff
Angling Magazine was without a doubt the best I have ever read. I must get hold of a copy of the book.

Ron, I fear that you are correct that the future of magazines is bleak. I am afraid that a new generation are used to getting their info on-line. It's not just angling, in my Profession, the paper magazines diminish while the info available on the web increases.

Stu

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I usually buy the 'Anglers Mail' to keep up with the latest news .

My favourite mag is ' Whiskers' ( the Catfish Conservation Group magazine) which is only once a year. Although not a carp angler as such , I like 'Carpworld' as some good writers have articles in it.

My favourite was ' Coarse Angler ' edited by Colin Dyson , a really good fishing magazine.