Fishing in winter

zippee

Reaction score
Hi all can anyone give me some ideas or tips. After a very good summer for catching carp the last 2 visits too my local lakes have been bloody poor . i have ledger fished with sweetcorn luncheon meet and dog biscuit and the odd boiley .which are usually very good but at the moment poor. some over fisherman tell me its not a great time too fish for carp in cold months and others say the opposite. any ideas or is it just try try try again.

F

Frothey

after being out last night - its not winter yet! the lakes are still relatively warm so just carry on with what you are doing - you cant expect to catch every time.

T

The Monk

Its all a case of picking the right winter water, some waters fish well over winter others simnply die and this appears regardless of depth, but appears to be realted to the stockings and the age of the carp, not everytime though

F

Frothey

it does happen monk, but not as much as it used to - whether thats down to the mild winters who knows? some of the lakes that used to shut down totally havent done for the last two years, but like you say, that might be down to new-ish stockings...

dave newman 4

Reaction score
small bag of pellet, with maggots

small bag of pellet with corn

small bag of pellet with a boilie (a known boilie that catches on the venue)

above with me, work everytime.

zippee

Reaction score
Cheers for that Dave/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

dave newman 4

Reaction score
no worries bungle.

ooopps i mean zippy, just keep it simple and dont over do it

F

Frothey

still dont think its cold enough to stop putting bait in yet......

dave newman 4

Reaction score
its not, wait until the day you go... then decide, but if it is cold or had an over night frost, you know the tactic to use

F

Frothey

one cold night or frost wont affect the water temperature much - you need a prolonged spell to do much.

not saying any advice is wrong, its just i think people stop feeding too quickly. certainly i'm still baiting ralatively heavily. whether it makes any difference to results.... who knows!