Tackle & Guns Show ?07 Review

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Sorry to do this Jeff, but after reading your informative article, it gave me an idea.

Knowing that you are a kind of get up and do sort of person, rather than a sit back and whinge type. are there any realistic benefits for angling clubs to have an annual open day? The obvious answer to that question must be yes. But how many have tried it? I only know of one club that has an annual open day. Complete with guest speakers such as Martin James. Others give free casting lessons on the river or lake.

And how about the clubs dishing out some freebies to visitors? What would a reasonable amount of money be to lay out for such an occasion as an open day? Or would it just attract the free loaders?

Have you ever organised or thought of doing something like this in your club to boost membership? And if so was it worth it?

W

Wolfman Woody

Hmmm!

Yes, we did have an open day in 1998 if I remember. It attracted a few anglers, but the problem, as always, was getting members out on the bank A) to monitor the outsiders and B) to give them further information on how to join.

I also organised a Champion of Champions Match amongst 10 of Englands finest including Scotthorne, Heaps, Arthur, and good old Ivan Marks. One of the objects of this was to get some more publicity for the club.

Events like this (and Exhibitions) are all about giving your club (or products) some exposure, but along with that you have to make sure that everyone attending has all the information they need to take it further.

Seems like what you did with Martin James was right. Offering outsiders a chance to fish your venues should be reward enough, but a cheap ball pen with the clubs name and phone number on it wouldn't go amiss. There's a company up in Manchester area that produce a wide range of promotional items. I'll see if I can dig them out if you like.

Is it worth it?

Yes. Even if it's not as successful as you had hoped, at least you tried and found out. Try and get soem feedback though and if there are complaints about organisation or content, correct it and try again.

Point to remember is NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!

Reaction score
ok i might be getting abit too big headed hear ? i am pretty sure Martin would give up some off his time if he was free . but lets say a few clubs offered free fishing for a day/ weekend ? lets say the ribble warrington ( Baz) wigan ( me ) radac ( ?) prine albert ( ? ) could all fish each others stretch as long as we produced there own club card ? maybe i am getting too big for my boots ?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Thanks Jeff, as I suspected it would have to be an ongoing campaign. I can't see many clubs making that amount of effort.

Brendan.

I have always thought that clubs amalgamting, especially the smaller clubs would be the way forward if they want to survive. Who knows, maybe in the future they will have no choice but to join forces. It is my suspicion that one of the clubs that I know of have been struggling financially for some time now. But somehow, I just can't see them sharing part ownership with other clubs.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just remembered, in addition to those in my report, Middy were not there this year.

One that's always missing and heaven knows how they survive in this day and age is Drennan. They don't have a website and (I may be wrong) they don't have an Email address or don't publish them at least. How a company can hope to exist in this 21st century and not be present on the internet beats me. I can only imagine that the name they earned for themselves in the 80s and 90s is carrying them through today, but the public being as fickle as they are, it may not last.

Abu (Garcia, Berkley and Pure Fishing) were also missing and just like Drennan, they need to have more presence if they expect to be a main contender.

P

pons

Jeff,

Good review ,and kind of echoed my thought as I walked round on day two afternoon.

The enclosed stand,was the same last year,and they are not usually much better at the NEC.

I must confess the lack of proffesionalism on stands is incredible,whils't other are excellent.

On the whole though,it is much,much better than the NEC bash which has just become a giant car boot sale full of not so cheap stuff ,and crazy crowds on sat and sunday including expensive car parks and admission.

Pons