Kennet

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Any one know if there is a day ticket stretch on the Kennet, mabe around the Newbury/Thatcham area.

Or season ticket's around that area ?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Jeff,

Reading & DAA is an amazing ticket to have. You could spend a lifetime fishing their waters. Some of their Kennet venues are also available on a day ticket, in advance. Woodley Angling Centre and Reading Angling Centre both sell the tickets and can point you in the right direction.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Thank's Matt I was going to get the RDAA next year, I was just looking for some day ticket water so that I can take Claudia to a proper barbel water, will contact those shop's.

See you've been out catching eel's, just picked up this month's CF, will read it tomorrow.

Remember that Grayling, that eel your holding look's just as bad.

F

Fred Bonney

Isn't there a free section, in and around Newbury?

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Jeff, I believe the free stretch is the it on the recreation ground, and a rumoured bit a bit further along between the lock stock and barrel pub and the footbridge

If you get a chance I might be taking Claudia to a bit of the avon near Christchurch mid week if she can get a day off ( I have the luxury of a month off ). Do not know your situation but please come along if you want PM me and we can sort out a day.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jeff, get a couple of your mates to guest you, Claudia and Mike and put Claudia in my swim /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jeff, have a look at Brendans article "A week on the Kennet" and the posts made relating to the article.

Chin up Claudia, we will get you that Bertie you want /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

Not quite Newbury, but day tickets are available from the Old Mill Hotel at Aldermaston. There's plenty of fishing there. Also, CALPAC, if they still exist,have a stretchbelow Aldermaston at Padworth. There also used to be a short free stretch just up the road from there at Woolhampton, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Jeff,

I've just remembered, there's a part of the Kennet just below the centre of Reading, below a lock, down to where it enters the Thames. It's only a couple of hundred yards long but that used to be free fishing 15-20 years back. Itwas to be full of 4-8oz roach, plus loads of dace and chub. You have to climb over a fence and drop into the water in waders but I used to love it down there.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Thank's every one, popped into Newbury today and picked up a map, will be speaking to a couple of those tackle shop's.

Mike no can do mid week, job won't allow it, or is it the new bigger mortgage, what is it they say " work to live not live to work " chance would be a fine thing./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Why are we calling Barbel "bertie's" it's a crap name./forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I prefer to call it the 'Ninja of the river'/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif...shame you can't make it/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
oh shut up zed man/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif they are not that easy, I didn't manage to get one/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Claudia he is having a dig, because I once said that barbel are easy to catch, due to there non eject mouth's.

They are easy, but you need to be able to find them and present the bait in a way that they want.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
This time of year...small baits and hooks?! maggots, casters, hemp and a special bait ****y told me/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

That'll be my approach on Wednesday anyway.....most important I WILL TRAVEL VERY VERY LIGHT lol

J

John Huntley

Jeff.

As Matt suggested get the Reading ticket. Its pretty cheap. Aldermaston Mill is always very busy and restrictive on weekends.