Let's Get Ready To Rumblllllllle

R

Rodney Wrestt

Blue mooooon you saw me stannnnding aloooone...
There's only one Riiiicky Hatton....There's only one Riiiicky Hatton....sorry, I'm K.O., I mean o.k now. Now that's out of my system which fish do you think is the best pound for pound fighter in our freshwater environment, of the species I've caught I think it's the grayling as I've not had the pleasure of a chub or barbel so can't comment on them. I have had carp, tench, pike and a few others including trout but the grayling gets my vote, can you immagine, say a 10lber with it's dorsal fin pushing against the current in a river with a bit of flow?

D

Duncan Kellett

I have to agree with you a big grayling in heavy water will battle to the last.
However I've always wondered what a 6lb gudgeon would go like

W

Wendy Perry

my hardest fighter up to now is the chub it seems to fight harder than carp the chub seem to want to get in the reeds so they can snap ya lol :eek:)

J

John Pleasance

I think there must be a case for the EEL, horrible things as far as I'm concerned, but the big ones do go a bit I'm told.

Who Ricky Hatton ?

P

Paul Williams

Twaite shad!.......they are only small but they go ballistic when hooked!....they dive, shake and launch themselves clear of the river......they are the most fun fish i know, i laugh loads playing them!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sorry everyone,
Ricky Hatton is the WBU welter-weight champion of the world and he defended his title for the 5th time on Saturday night against a Russian, who was stopped in the 7th round. The best body puncher in the country since Barry Mcguigan. Great fighter won 27 out of 27 pro fights and 23 of them by K.O. (mostly takes people out with body shots).

I thought with the thread being about the best pound for pound fighters it wasn't a bad link, The Blue moon part is 'cause he's a Man City fan, he wears their colours to the ring and uses the song as his entrance music, he also had a trial with them but decided to go into the fight game. I like him because if I had kept the sport up I would have fought at that weight and have watched him, since he started pro fighting all his fights have been televised and he's become an instant star like Naz, Ryan Rhodes, jonny Nelson and a few others.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yes Andrew, I think your right. Ricky still joins the team during some of their training sessions.

A

andrew jackson

I am not a big boxing fan, but I do like to watch a bit of boxing on tv. I dont know about you Rodney, but I canot recall seeing a pro hurt so much from a punch on the nose. And he was as tough as old boots.

Back to the topic, I have had some pretty epic battles that have turned out to be little Perch, put that spirit into a body of a 20lb carp and you would see some fireworks.

R

Ron Clay

1: Fit overwintered rainbow trout.
2: Seatrout.
3: Male tench
4: Barbel
5; Common carp in rivers.

Those are my first 5

M

Mike Parker

Down this way we get quite a few Mullet making their way into the freshwater, now lb for lb (ok Ron, gramme for gramme) they make barbel feel like a dustbin lid.

D

disco dan

Never fished for trout ron but agree with you on male tench. I had a rod pulled off my pod when it was fixed solid with john roberts but grips and also a meduim drag on my bait runner it weighed about 4 pounds what a fight.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Duncan,
I don't know about gudgeon although I wonder how a double figure Dace would fight, tarpon spring to mind.

Andrew,
It was a good fight but not his best and the russian was never stopped before, I think he punched himself out and the early punches took a lot out of him. I have had tiny perch on a pole with light elastic and they do go a bit.

Not a decisive winner then, I suppose it depends on venue, tackle and method used as
I use light tackle on the river for roach and catch the occasional trout and grayling, I find the later to be the most aggressive and prolonged fighter the trout take the bait hard and fight well for a few lunges but the grayling will fight even when in the net, unhooking these fish shows their strength as they still have that solid feel and you can feel the strength in them.

A

Alan Kray

Ohh boys its got to be the EEL!!! Once while eel fishing on a canal i made a fool of myself estimateing the fish i'd hooked as a eel of about 2 1/2 pound. The little eel turned out to be a carp of 18 pound with a tail the size of a rudder! A big eel is usually very old/wise and NEVER gives up? All this and its got reverse!!

C

Cheese Paste

I've got a fish tank with a pleco in it and I reckon if you hooked a 5 pound one these, you'd definately know it.

R

Ron Clay

I agree about the mullet. Any salt water species with the exception of cod and flatties fights far harder than a freshwater fish. If I was to list the hardest fighting fish in the world I would probably put the bonefish as number 1. In the list would be the South African Springer, an estuary species. These fish very rarely reach 5 kg yet they can take over 200 metres of backing in one rush and then jump several metres in the air.

Absolutely incredible.

P

Paul Williams

Never found the eel to give a good fight....at least not in the terms we usually apply to fish......in fact to allow them to "battle" will often lead to thier loss when they manage to grab hold of something.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Does anyone rate big bream as a fighter, I've never had the priviledge of catching a huge one but the ones I've had up to over 3lb haven't put up much of a strugle, however I've seen a few articles by people who say the fight from big bream is surprisingly good. They must be fair fighters in a river with the flow against them, a bit like a grayling using it's dorsal for added leverage?