Fish retention.....

E

EC

What do you use for keeping your fish in if you decide to retain one or two for a pic, weigh in or whatever?

I'm really interested to hear what anglers use forvarious species, carpsacks, retention systems orkeepnets. I'm especiallyinterested to know which models you use and if you use the same system for all species, and for both rivers and stillwaters!

I'd rather this didn't turn into a 'ban keepnets/carp sacks/ retention system' debate if that's ok!

C

Cakey

nothing ......I take the piccys and put them back ,Im not anti I just dont like taking a chance

E

EC

You have a good camera set up for night shots though Cakes?

B

Bill Cox

Thats a lame excuse these days eddie!! mOST Cameras these days have good flash built in, and timers, so no need to wait until daylight.

G

Ged

Again, don't use them. Take piccy then release fish.

Have a keepnet but not used in years and then only used on comercials about half dozen times. Don't see the need nowadays, I'm not a match fisherman.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Eddie, I rarely retain fish but when i do i have one of Wol's retention systems.Spot on for holding a few for a picture shot without any harm whatsoever.

E

EC

Bill it was a statement I made to Cakes as I am aware of his interest in photography, not an attempt at an excuse mate.I do not need an excuse. I stick pieces of steel into fish,andI do not need an excuse to retain one for a short timeshould club rules permit and shouldI choose.

Like I asked in my opening post I do not wish this to turn into a 'should we/shouldn't we' debate!

I am simply genuinely interested in what people use, once it gets into a debate then those that do retain fish may feel that they do not wish to contribute as they cannot be arsed with the mudslinging that inevitably follows!

Cheers.

E

EC

You'd be lucky Jethro unless your talking about............no maybe not!

B

Bill Cox

If i fish for small stuff on my own i will rarely use a keepnet but do when the kids are with me as they like to introduce a competative element into it' i have no problems with keepnets used sensibly. But i never use a carp sack, if fishing on my own or after dark i always have my camera set up and the shot framed on the mat. Position marked so i get myself and the fish in. Never seen any reason why everyone can't do this. But each to there own i suppose.

B

Bill Cox

Ed i know you were and i was not aiming any mud at anyone. I have nothing against people using a keep net sensibly, I just choose not to.

E

EC

I know Bill, I don't either mate, I am genuinely interested in what people use mate thats all!

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

very rarely use a keepnet as my style of fishing is more on the gallop sifting out whatever i can get , chub i dont keep in a net just quick pic and release same with carp tench bream. Only when i go for a day sitting in one spot after roach and small stuff will i use a net and thats not always its just nice to see at the end of the session a good bag makes a good pic. this season i have used a net only four times. 3 mtrs long nice big holes plenty of water to flow through. hope that helps your personal survey.most of the waters in my area have a ban on nets and sacks anyway. i personal dont find a keepnet harmfull to fish if they are used properly i always treat my fish with the utmost respect and am very carefull when putting them back in the water also i keep my net close to the water so i never throw a fish in like i,v sen a lot of morons do.nothing wrong with nets just how you use them.

E

EC

Not a survey Bob what make of net is it and do you use it for rivers and stillwaters?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

knotless net keenets i think and only use on rivers

B

Bill Cox

I tell a lie Ed, i did retain some fish last night as it happens, for about twelve hours, lovely bit of retention my intestinal tract did as well./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Eddie I use a bankstick and piece of string ,camera on bank stick, string tied to bankstickand set to the right distance to fill the frame then I chuck string back out of shot pick up fish and kneel on switch

99 times out 100 I fish with someone so above system rarely gets used