Why ME....PB goes of into the distance

M

Mark Lathwell

How do you get over the shock of loosing your bigest carp just befor landing it.

Well it happend to me on sat at Docklow pools. The last bite of the day it was big i got it to the landing net but it was to big to go in, it even touched the net but my 11 year old just could not get it( my landing net is 22" wide)after what seem for ever moving left to right snap goes the hook length NO NO NO my PB goes of in to the distance.

I have now orderd a 40" landing net.

Has this happend to you (just to make me feel better)

B

Ben Lovell

Unlucky mate!

I tend to take a philosphical look when I lose fish at the net.

'It just wasn't meant to be'!

M

Malcolm Bason

Mark - were you purposely fishing for carp, or was it just that you hooked into one bigger than expected?

just wondered why you had such a small landing net?

M

Mark Lathwell

Not realy Malcolm i was just feeder fishing
having a good day with skimmers roach and chub.

M

Mark Lathwell

Thanx for that.
Back to Docklow next sat.
I will be ready this time!!!!!!!! I hope.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Tough lines Mark and no...you are definitely not on your own there. Last season I managed to get two days and two nights on a water in Dorset. I sat there for the first 20 hours or so with not a take or a twitch. Then off went the buzzers and the line screamed out. After about twenty minutes my soon to be PB was coming towards the net. Off it surged and again and once more until she was just tiring and giving in the edge of the net once more and ping. The hook pulled! It was well into its twenty's and I was as sick as a pig. No more bites, no more takes!

My only advice to anyone if witnessing such a heartbreaking experinece is to walk away and give the angler a few moments to console his loss and gather his thoughts. The last thing you want is some smart ass telling you where you went wrong!

I know the feeling Mark, but its these quirky experiences that make us real fisherman dream of the next time!

Good Luck next week mate!
Stuart

M

Mark Lathwell

Thanx for that Stuart, my son said the fish will feel sorry for me and let me catch him next saturday (bless him) he had tears in his eyes when it came off, well we both did to be truthfull.

I do feel good in a way that i hooked it in the first place so i must be doing somthing right.It has just made me more determined than ever. Look out Docklow there's a fisherman on a mission!!!!!!!!ha ha ha.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
That's an excellent point Mark! take the following points as a pat on the back:
1, you chose the swim and located he fish well 2,the presenttation of bait and rigs was spot on 3, you struck and hooked the fish correctly 4, you played the fish to the end result.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I have two boys the eldest is 2 and a half and the truth and guidance from young mouths is frightening sometimes huh?

M

Mark Lathwell

That is so true Stuart i normal have my three boys with me but the two youngest decided not to come they are 8 and 6 but they put things in perspective for me i think and what they say make me laugh.