Gulping carp

Shine

Reaction score
One place where I fish there are 3 lakes right next to each other. They're called top, middle and bottom lakes. On the top and middle lakes the carp have been coming up lately and gulping at the surface. Not gulping right out the water, but gentle gulping. The EA were there about 10 days ago doing tests because we are having a large amount of roach removed. The test on the lake and the fish came back ok.

Anyone know what this gulping is about? They spend all day on top like this. Bottom lake is fishing fine, top and middle lake is un-fishable at the moment because of this.

What are the carp doing?

Shine

Reaction score
NotA oxygen problem christian.

Someone /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gifput a net in to see if you can just scoop one out but they spook away. Dont think the carp are offto see elvis and co yet cakey.

Shine

Reaction score
must be for air then butthe ea have done test and the oxygen was ok. Dont think its for food as they are like it all day

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hiya,

Are they doing at a specific time (ie first thing in the morning or at night?) This is often a sign of low oxygen or feeding fish. I would expect to see silver fish displaying this behavior for it to be low oxygenation.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not gulping air, but trying to get the top layer of water through their gills which is the most oxygenated. A DO test needs to be done both in the location and time of the fish showing this behaviour to see if there's a DO (dissolved oxygen) problem.If the EA have been on site, then at least they are aware and the fishery owner can take action *if* it's required.

Hope this helps

Rob

T

The Monk

Mine do it a lot in my pond systems which are fully oxengenated, in tyhe case of they are feeding on small suface film invertibrates taken from water plants, its a kind of tenting

Rob Hale

Reaction score
They're *probably* feeding then - if they're not showing any other signs of distress I wouldn't worry about it, but try and think of a way to capitalise on it... Start introducing some floating bait freebies and see if they'll pick them up.

Shine

Reaction score
Not yet. Still waiting for the ea. Been told they are taking out the roach in the next week. We did get told it would be last week.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Another reason why all fish with open ended swim bladders gulp air is to inflate their swim bladders due to changes in atmospheric pressure. Gulp air in to inflate and fart to deflate. That’s not to say they are not doing it for other reasons as well.

The Monk

Reaction score
"Can you explain what tenting is please monk

Cheers"

sorry SOYCD mate its a a very old term in carp fishing probably not used much these days, we used to call carp feeding below pads tenters, to catch them we would use a baiting needle and thread the line through a lillypad with the bait pulled tight underneath, it was an excellent method for catching tenters, other terms were bubblers, smoke screeners and cloopers of course

C

Cakey

mr Monk I used to do that cut off a lily pad thread the line through the middle and dangle a worm using the pad as a float !