roach sunday 001.jpg

• Thread starter Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)
  • Start date
B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well i went fishing today with the trusty rod and pin.Float fished caster over hemp on a lovely little glide i found local to myself.Only fished for just on two and a half hours but boy what a time i had.all the roach you see in the pic were between 4 and 14 oz they just kept a cummin.a total of just over 11 lb of roach . It was one of those times you dream of but never expect to happen, but today it did for me.god i,m a happy bunny today.tight lines all.

B

aint realy mine mate but just wanted to share it with you lot. and i,ll not tell a lie they all swam away very happy. just to put your mind at rest.

Barbel Hunter

Reaction score
I can't stand this sort of photo. I'm sure it was a nice catch, but does it really need proving in such a way.

Please inform the angler that the use of a wet unhooking mat under the net would be a nice start! Even then the net is far too small for all those fish to be crammed in and I can't help but think that this sort of image only gives angling a bad image!

T

The Monk

yes nice catch Bob, I`ve took a few photographs like that over the years I must admit, but I couldnt do it anymore. But still a good catch mate

B

well barbel hunter i feel sick now that i put this photo on here. I normally put my fish right back in the water and if poss unhook them in the water.But i was haveing such a blinding run i got the keepnet out wich is 3 mtre long and kept the fish to take a pic and share with you on here. the fish were carfully put in my landing net for 1 minuite to take the photo then returned unharmed.you dont think for one moment i would keep all those fish in a landing net do you.if i thought for one minuite that any harm would befall those fish i wouldnt have done it and now i,m sorry i did. And another thing i dont need to prove to anyone that i can catch fish and enjoy myself but i thought the idea of this site is to share your experiences with others.Maybe i,m saddly mistaken.and if you think i,m not a true angler then all those so called top matchmen out there must be bad anglers too. Or is it ok to keep fish when money is the object.

T

The Monk

I do use a keepnet and dont feel it does any harm to the fish

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bob, do not be ashamed.Keepnets are perfectly legitimate and legal and it is down to the individual angler whether or not he chooses to use one.I rarely do but would defend other peoples right to use one.

The fish look fine and do not show any of the red bellies often associated with roach crammed in a keepnet too long.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

...and to be honest, are we in danger of discouraging anyone putting catch shots on at all.

Let's face it the ultimate in fish welfare is not to catch them at all and then were would we be?

T

The Monk

I think the type of fish you put in keepnets is important though, also the positioning of the keepnet and size of it of course along with the depth of the water its kept in and the water temperiture at the time, keepnets need to be pegged down if possible and should any fish show any form of stress it should be immediately returned

B

i do feel awfull now i am very respecfull of my fish. i have deleted the pic as i do not want to offend aothers that have come to know me on here.But i must stress once again all these fish were returned unharmed and if i thought otherwise then i will pack fishing in.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bob, I think that is shame as it was a nice catch and one to be proud of but Irespect your decision.

Monk, is of course right, if you are going to use one then use one properly.

Anyone else who puts up a catch shot beware,youare being watched /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob,

I too happen to think it is a shame that the picture was taken down.

Personally, I see nothing wrong in these sort of 'record' shots providing, as you pointed out, (Twice!)that all the fish were returned unharmed.

Using a keepnet is similarly no problem at all, other than to those who want to form the 'Fishing Police" and is to my mind the thin end of the wedge with regards to the beginnings of the "Ban Culture"

I also don't think that you should feel anything but happy for having had such a red letter day with those Roach.

B

my net was pinned in the flow the fish were being watch very carefully they all were quite happy if i thought otherwise i would have released them emediately i can assure you of that.

C

Cakey

the problem is there are right and wrong ways and the minority who do it wrong f*ck it up for those that do it right ,like Im sure Chubbers does.

what put me off was about 7years ago now some plonker had 200lb + of bream in a net and lifted them straight out the water .......I would not like to be that bottom 5lb bream with 195lb+ on top of me........................

T

The Monk

Bob you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of, I was only trying to put forward my point of view and I have everyconfidence that you would not in anyway harm fish, we all have slightly different views, on another thread recently I put up my view of the practice of placing lures in the moths of pike for photograhic reasons, on a personal basis I find it very disturbing, yet othjer experienced and caring anglers share different views and find the practice perfectly acceptable, angling is big enough to allow diametric thinking and opinions like this without it causing any division within the sport, fortunately with a site like FM we can debate issues like this and we are all still learning of course there are no experts. Just a sway of opinions.