Whats going on??

drakey

Reaction score
Just got back from the river Thames at Goring and it was very boring.If it was'nt for the Kingfishers flshing by me i would have nodded off.1 bite and 1 perch. The lastcouple of my outings to the river bank have allbeen dismal. Last time out i visited the Ouse at Littleport and only managed half a dozen roach. The season was going really well with lots of pb's, 70 pound here, 50 pound there,but of late the rivers seem to be dead. ( apart from Bobs bag of roach ).

Is it time to take up golf or are any of you experiencing the same?

Do we all need to meet up for a raindance?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Dead right we do, the ribble was so low on Saturday. I could see every rock in it!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

What do you want....to catch what you want every time you go? how would we know a good day then?

Plod on, take it all in and be ready for that day when it comes /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Geez Yam Yam get ya claws back in mate/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.......rivers here are the same, still gin clear and low level, I can't believe I would ever say that but please please let it rain to put some colour in to the river and raise the water level

Deanos

Reaction score
That is good advice Brummie, at the very least it makes you think about what you are doing, I can be very lazy, same methods, yawn zzzzzz, but in a way the leaner times make me work harder...think what could I have done better, and generally I can always think of something after the event that I could have done to increase my chances.

And at the end of the day....if a King Fisher puts an appearance in, its all worth while.

Without getting too carried away, last week when I was out fishing under the stars, I thought how bloody lucky I was to be there at that moment....I can always catch the big un next time!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"....rivers here are the same, still gin clear and low level, I can't believe I would ever say that but please please let it rain to put some colour in to the river and raise the water level"

Caudia,

An 'Angler' will still catch regardless of the conditions /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

What you do is scale down your expectations, and your target species to equal the prevailing conditions.

Set up a Trent Trotter float (I'll show you on Saturday) and fish the faster creases at Britford on the old course for Dace, Grayling and the odd Roach, catching in about 12 inches of water feeding maggot sparsely.

That's why its' called Fishing and not Catching /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Claudia.....there is angling life beyond watching a rod top.............no claws out, just tossin a biscuit!;)

Deano.....you have a sound attitude, respect!

How many packets of custard creams do you get through on those slow nights?

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Peter,

I'm far from being an Angler yet, still too much to learn. Last time I fished at Britford I managed to catch a few good roach and a brownie and a huge amount of minnows lol.....but that was on the new course.

I only fished the old course twice so far, once for the perch, of which I managed loads off, not big but still great fun.

First time was at the sluice, as you know for the chub.

There is still sooo much of the river for me to explore yet, next time I will target the roach again, they are great fun.

Oops, are they smilies I can see in your post *big grin*

E

Eric Hayes

I've fished the river in Summer when it was low and clear and caught. It's the temperaturethats the biggest factor at this time of year. I try to pick a day when the temperature has been steady for a few daysorwhen the temperature isrisingwith low airpressure. I usually fishmid afternoon and stay a few hoursinto dark, that way the water has had time to warm. some timesI find it only takesa fraction of a degree and it's a good bet the fish will start to feed at some point. If you get a few days when the temperature has been steadily rising withwesterly or southerly breeze (not that often after October i know)you can have a burster if you can get onto the banks.

Deanos

Reaction score
Ha ha.....I don't eat a lot when I am fishing Brummie, I am too excited all of the time to eat. But when I get home, its "Apocalypse Now" for my poor old fridge! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

drakey

Reaction score
Agree with what you say Paul. It would'nt be much fun if you catch whatyou want everytime, just i had a 140mile all round drive for 1 perch. ( not funny ).

Roll on next week when i'll probably do it again.

By the way just looked outside and we've had rain in Herts, i heard the lobs laughing.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Yam Yam

there is angling life beyond watching a rod to......I know, it's learning about watercraft, behaviour of fish in certain condition, different methods of fishing, etc.....all things I still have a great deal to learn.....I listen and watch others but I also like to try my own things out, specially when I fish on my own......at least that way I don't make a complete idiot of myself when I fail or do something wrong, which still happens a lot/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif but that doesn't stop me from trying/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It's the bad days that make the good days good ........

C

Cakey

I like that frog..................the frog aint just a waste of space in its box !

C

Cakey

water is low and very very clear here and I had to drive 3 miles for one perch ..it was a nice 2lber + though

Drakey there are other things you can do ready for next time ,I could see all the weed beds and a couple of snags in the new swim that Ray put me on to so these are all noted into my note book

and where abouts in herts are you?.......... I didnt get any rain

C

Cakey

if you want some "closer perch" which went just into the 4's last year but not got anywhere near that yet this year ..............let me know

drakey

Reaction score
Cakey im in Wheathampstead near St.albans. It was'nt much rain, but rain it did.

Someone must have been doing that raindance.. but it needs all of us.

Rickrod

Reaction score
just done an 800 mile round trip to fish a couple of yorkshire rivers last week and had good fish from them both ,both rivers could do with some rain in them

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Getting some decent Perch action on the river but the roach not really showing yet..... still a lot of decaying weed and branches and cr*p on the bottom that could really do with a big rainstorm to wash it all away and then into proper September type fishing - although its November I know !

Everything this year just seems to have been two months behind.... Lord bless global warming ! At this rate the real Predator stuff will be starting at or after Christmas day !!!!