Baitrunner size?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
just wondered what size baitrunners you all use. I have decided on a pair of shimano Ds but don't know which size to go for, would I be better with 8000s for the bigger spool size or stick with 6000s for compactness?

thanks

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I use two sizes, the smaller one for smaller waters/fish matched with rods up to 2.25lb TC the other for larger heavier rods to 3lb TC. Mine are old timers though, 3500 and 4500 models

sam vimes

Reaction score
No mention of what the intended use is.:confused:
I have Baitrunners from 2500 to 10000 size with 4000 and 5000 in between. I've also got 5500 mini big pit baitrunners too but these are outside of the usual Shimano size structure, they are huge compared to normal 10000 sized baitrunners and they are pretty big themselves.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Poisonally, I'd go for 8000.

Had some 6000 for years not Ds though, sold them and bought 8000. Only difference, bigger spool (I'm pretty sure, check with dealer) and if so you can always buy spare 6000 spools as well.

Are these the ones Mark?
btrdl6000ra-vwd.jpg
or these
btr8000deu-mp-vwd.jpg

Sorry, but just read Geoff Maynards post, might have got the wrong model.....

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I use XTEA 10000's on the basis that they spend 95% of the ime on rod rests so weight is not really an issue for me.

I too have a set of 5500 mini big pits for larger waters but also importaqnt to balance the tackle so your rods and application may be a factor.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Poisonally, I'd go for 8000.

Had some 6000 for years not Ds though, sold them and bought 8000. Only difference, bigger spool (I'm pretty sure, check with dealer) and if so you can always buy spare 6000 spools as well.

Are these the ones Mark?
btrdl6000ra-vwd.jpg
or these
btr8000deu-mp-vwd.jpg

Sorry, but just read Geoff Maynards post, might have got the wrong model.....

It's the bottom ones Woody, I already have a 4000D that I use for Barbel and I love it!

Sam: I will only be fishing on small/medium estate lakes, rivers,drains and canals with 2.75lb/3.00lb rods (when I decide which ones) so I don't need heavy gear (yet!)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam: I will only be fishing on small/medium rivers, drains and canals with 2.75lb/3.00lb rods (when I decide which ones) so I don't need heavy gear (yet!)

As long as you aren't trying to chuck to the horizon, and as you like the 4000Ds, I'd suggest the bigger Ds (6000Ds might be enough though).
As Terry suggests, weight isn't a massive issue on carp rods. They spend most of their time on rests, a small, but hopefully not too small, amount of time in your hands with a fish banging away at the business end or casting/retrieving fairly substantial leads/bags/stringers.

Simon K

Reaction score
Just bought myself a pair of the ST 6000 RA's (replacing my old 5000 Aero's). Light enough for river work, enough casting distance for the pits (70/80 yds).

Nice price ( £45 ea) and Quality in every dept as expected. Recommended.

What would you be wanting such heavy-duty rods for on the types of water-courses you mention, Mark? :confused:

2 to 2.5 would be plenty even for Big Carp (30lb +).

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just bought myself a pair of the ST 6000 RA's (replacing my old 5000 Aero's). Light enough for river work, enough casting distance for the pits (70/80 yds).

Nice price ( £45 ea) and Quality in every dept as expected. Recommended.

What would you be wanting such heavy-duty rods for on the types of water-courses you mention, Mark? :confused:

2 to 2.5 would be plenty even for Big Carp (30lb +).

I have not seen any rods of those Test curves for years, well, not on carp rods anyway. I am looking for rods with a decent fish playing action that's why I like the look of the NGs. Test curve as very little to do with the action of the rod and that confuses a lot of people because they think it's the same thing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Honestly Mark..go try the Chub Outkast Plus Small water.I was drooling over these again yesterday and in terms of fish playing action these are way,way ahead of any other carp rod I've ever picked up...including some top of the range jobbies. Now I freely admit to being no carp angler but I know a good rod when I pick one up.Most carp rods feel like beachcasters to me.These dont.

But I wont then put a big heavy reel on them that takes half a mile of line and ruins the feel and balance. I'm with Geoff in this respect. I have a pair of 4000 and 5000 size Okuma Epix and they will do very nicely.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Honestly Mark..go try the Chub Outkast Plus Small water.I was drooling over these again yesterday and in terms of fish playing action these are way,way ahead of any other carp rod I've ever picked up...including some top of the range jobbies. Now I freely admit to being no carp angler but I know a good rod when I pick one up.Most carp rods feel like beachcasters to me.These dont.

But I wont then put a big heavy reel on them that takes half a mile of line and ruins the feel and balance. I'm with Geoff in this respect. I have a pair of 4000 and 5000 size Okuma Epix and they will do very nicely.

Thanks mate,
I know the chub rods (and the greys) have had very good reviews I will have to see if billy clarke has any in to have a look at. What's the fittings like?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have not seen any rods of those Test curves for years, well, not on carp rods anyway. I am looking for rods with a decent fish playing action that's why I like the look of the NGs. Test curve as very little to do with the action of the rod and that confuses a lot of people because they think it's the same thing.

2.5lb rods are still about if you look. If you look really hard, you can occasionally find 2.25 and even 2.00lb. Whether anyone buys them or any shop actually keeps them in stock because of this, is another matter entirely. They are in the manufacturers catalogues though.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
2.5lb rods are still about if you look. If you look really hard, you can occasionally find 2.25 and even 2.00lb. Whether anyone buys them or any shop actually keeps them in stock because of this, is another matter entirely. They are in the manufacturers catalogues though.

I have been looking on the chub web site and they have smaller test curve rods, ok for flood water barbel I guess!
Still fancy the NGs though, just need to save a little harder, then again how often will I use them and can I justify paying that much for a pair of rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have been looking on the chub web site and they have smaller test curve rods, ok for flood water barbel I guess!
Still fancy the NGs though, just need to save a little harder, then again how often will I use them and can I justify paying that much for a pair of rods.

Shimano Catana BX are available right down to 2.0lb.
CATANA BX SPECIMEN

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Thanks mate,
I know the chub rods (and the greys) have had very good reviews I will have to see if billy clarke has any in to have a look at. What's the fittings like?

Seem OK to me. The whole "deal" with this smallwater version seems to be to keep the rod light,slim & sweet in action.I think they've got this one spot on.

TBH even if I was contemplating a bit of carping which required more powerful rods/actions I would have one of these anyway.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seem OK to me. The whole "deal" with this smallwater version seems to be to keep the rod light,slim & sweet in action.I think they've got this one spot on.

TBH even if I was contemplating a bit of carping which required more powerful rods/actions I would have one of these anyway.

TBH Skippy, I think for most carping that is done do you need a rod with more than a 3lb test curve but that just my view.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
TBH Skippy, I think for most carping that is done do you need a rod with more than a 3lb test curve but that just my view.

Sorry Mark....are you saying you DO or you DONT ? :confused:

Anyway...I could resist no more so I've ordered meself an Outkast SW and I will give this carping caper a gentle go. I might find I'm undergunned in which case I'll go for a more powerful second rod but I shall first do my apprenticeship with one rod. Dont really like fishing two rods anyway...I tend to get in a right 2 and 8 whenever I do.

I have to say having done a bit of research I am finding the whole "carp" thing fascinating. Some seriously clever blokes out there.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Mark....are you saying you DO or you DONT ? :confused:

Anyway...I could resist no more so I've ordered meself an Outkast SW and I will give this carping caper a gentle go. I might find I'm undergunned in which case I'll go for a more powerful second rod but I shall first do my apprenticeship with one rod. Dont really like fishing two rods anyway...I tend to get in a right 2 and 8 whenever I do.

I have to say having done a bit of research I am finding the whole "carp" thing fascinating. Some seriously clever blokes out there.

sorry, missed a bit! You don't.

Simon K

Reaction score
Shimano Catana BX are available right down to 2.0lb.
CATANA BX SPECIMEN

Thanks Sam. I hate repeating myself. :rolleyes:

Tbh Mark, you're full of contradiction and that makes it difficult to try and offer any genuine help.

You're talking about 2.75/3lb carp rods designed for weight and distance on pits and you think you're going to get wonderful playing action on small-ish rivers/canals. Not so.

You're talking about 8000 series baitrunners (which are designed for 100yd+ chucks) on the same small waters.

Way overkill.

Do you really know what it is that you want? Are you even going to be targeting carp? :confused: