Bait or not to bait that is the question

B

Barry Cook

I have just been on my 2nd outing since taking up carp fishing. Before I went I asked the lad in the shop for some hints on the location i was about to fish. He told me that he had recently fished another venue, and all he used was the bait on the hook, nil groundbait, bags etc etc and he had a good day.

I turned up having made my mind up and did the same, you can imagine how i felt when the 1st common caught was a P.B. of 17lb 5oz (its hard not to beat a PB when you have only been once) but 45 minutes later joy of joy a 23LB 5oz common, both caught on a pineapple snowman pop up which had been dip in p/apple. I was the only person to have caught out of 6 other anglers.

However along came 2 young lads (mid twenties) with all the kit, and swacked out alot of feed in three locations all very accurate. Within 2 hrs they had landed 5 carp.

I never caught again, and left at last light a very happy man, but you can see my problem. FEED OR NOT TO FEED.

Anyone got some thoughts on the subject

B

Barry Cook

ps the other 6 guys were all feeding their swims ? the mind boggles

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, sometimes the fish are already in the swim.

Next time you go try fishing the same way, if you dont have anything after a couple of hours then try baiting up just a little, and wait, say for an hour. If you have nothing try baiting up some more, or even think about moving to another swim.

As winter is now with us, i dont feed much, just a few offerings and many anglers only use hook baits and nothing else and not just at this time of year.

You have got off to a flying start, but it wont be like that during the winter. As you go for the carp more you will learn more about the water you are fishing, remember always watch the water, the smallist sign can give you a good idea of where the fish are.

Good luck.

B

Barry Cook

Thanks for that Ray , I think thats what so special about carp fishing , there is no right answer.

F

Frothey

thats the same with any form of angling!

i say at the moment bait...... it aint cold enough to worry about yet, but that might change tonight!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Another thing to look out for Barry.

The spot you choose to fish, try and make sure that other anglers lines do not go across the area where you are fishing.

For example. You might be fishing the "back" of a small bay. Another angler who could be well away from you, could decide to cast his lines across the "front" of the bay, thus possibly spooking any Carp from comeing closer to you. Good catch on your second outing though. Well done.

B

Bully

Barry - if that was only your 2nd outing then I would say just keep trying different things, at different locations, and make your own mind up.........it just takes time.

Not a bad start though, nice one!

F

Frothey

yeah actually i reckon keep doing what you're doing - it's obviously right!

dont get disheartened if you dont catch though, especially at this time of year

B

Barry Cook

Cheers for that lads , I do take note and listen to what people say and put it away for reference , but i also know that each swim is different and the same swim can change over the year. I cant wait for the winter fishing , just another learning curve.

ps Baz (angel of the north) i only managed to go fishing on monday as i was at St James Park on saturday , enjoying myself watching POMPEY win - Sorry