Need some advice...

DeBloke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to treat myself with a new reel going with my Greys GRXI #6/7 rod. I looked arround on ebay and found the Vision Koma which is also available in a #6/7 version. The other reels in my price range would be Greys GRXI and GTX in #7/8 (i can't make out a difference except the silver finish and £40 extra).

Has anyone of you any experience with one of those reels? Or are there better reels in a price range up to £100? I currently use different lines #7 but not in saltwater environment. I really want something which can stand my (ab-)use for some years...

Thanks

M

MarkTheSpark

Okuma Airframe/Airstream is a composite reel with stainless steel which is great in that it won't corrode if you go bassing with the fly, so example. Spools are dirt cheap, it's got a great capacity for line and backing, and a very good drag system.

Its dearer sister the Magnitude is a lightweight magnesium reel that's equally good.

There are other reels which look pretty good, but I have been using Okumas since the year dot and have never had one go wrong or let me down in any way.

S

Shrek

GTX has a better drag than a GRXi. Vision Koma isn't very sturdy, I've heard lots of reports of them breaking or bending when dropped. Okuma Airstream/Airframe are good, although I think the Airframe is now discontinued (If you have a look on Foxons site, you'll find them in their discontinued reels section).

Vosseler are nice reels, Sportfish now being the UK agents for them, butI don't think you'd get what you want for your budget though.

I have a Greys G-Lite #7/8 with a spare spool that's surplus to requirements, if you're interested drop me an email.

DeBloke

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions.

I just had a look at the Vosseler Homepage and really liked the DC4 reel. I think I would stretch my budget for this one. However i happen to live just down the road from the Sportfish location in Reading and they neither have the Vosseler reels in the shop nor on the website.

If you still want to sell your G-Lite reel please drop me an email at hgabriel(at)gmx.de. I couldn't find an email address in you profile.