New TV fishing series starts Thursday on Channel 4

T

The Monk

Nice one Dave thanks, should be good/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

T

The Monk

do Channel 4s publicity people actually think now then?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Let's hope they have some better known anglers on the show. Just incase Mr. Fearnley takes a liking to fresh water Bream or Roach. Then they can tell him the eror of his ways.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

In the current climate (i.e. fish thefts) I only hope he keeps away from killing and eating prime coarse fish, but I'm sure the programme 'advisers' will be aware of that?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'm not so sure about that John. You know what these intelectual types are like. I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of s..t he does it somewhere in the programme.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

.....Quenelles of Pike,mmmm!

Do not worry,I think its all about the lesser known, and therefore currently sustainable,species of sea fish.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think any series which shows angling in a positive light is good irresepctive of whether the fish are kept.We tend to forget that that to joe public, it is much more understandable to catch for the pot than for a picture!

Even if Hugh did bang the odd coarse fish on thehead, and he has done in the past, it is hard to envsiage your avaerage armchair viewer suddendly rushing to the shed to rig up aset line or fyke net is it?

I suspect it is more a food programme then a fishing one in any event.

Y

yoggy

I already set a reminder to watch this.

His "River Cottage" series was brilliant and so is his cook book.

Shame more people havn`t got his mentality towards eating and food especially with all the crap most people tend to eat nowadays.

M

MarkTheSpark

HFW's OK but that Nick Fisher is a right City Banker....

Trisantona

Reaction score
Nick Fisher is a brilliant writer about FISH,he doesn't purpurt to be a good angler,but comes up with some amazing facts about fish that you never read elsewhere by some so called angling writers who simply re hash articles from old books and mags about the same old dreary stuff year after year.he writes a weekly column in shooting times as does Fred J Taylor./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

Well, that's all the sea fish that were trying to keep their heads down and avoid being noticed now put on the commercial skippers' list. Gurnard, pouting, sandeels, grey mullet... all now on restaurant menus and doomed. How depressing.

The whole thing, actually - running that huge 33-foot catamaran all day to the Channel Isles to catch a handful of pouting and some gurnard shows just how bad sea fishing has become; they should have saved the fuel and done the planet a favour.

One of the bass he took looked undersized. One of the mullet he clobbered was 4lb or so, and would have taken 15 years to get that size. I think I'll write to HFW and tell him what an ar$e he is.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I blame the C.S.G. Treasurer. /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gifIf he hadn't sold Hugh whats his name the cottage, there wouldn't be a River Cottage series. It's all Tim's fault.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Actually mark,you just raised a point Nick Fisher wrote about last year,re foriegners think we are totally wrong to put undersized sea fish back,if you think about it ,bit stupid to use fuel to catch fish only to throw em back to die,talking nets here btw.although of course you should try to avoid catching undersized fish in the first place.