centrepins again!

J

jon kennard

Hello to all, just finally got round to becoming a member after using the site for years! I have just bought a Greys Bewick centrepin(hasn't arrived yet!). I am farily new to centrepin but have had alot of success and really enjoy the freedom and fun it gives anyway!!! I would like to hear any reviews of people who own and use them as to what they think? Tinelines hope you manage to get out this weekend.

S

Shrek

I've never used one but from what I've heard they are one of the top 'pins you can get.

Glad you've finally "come out of the closet" and looking forward to seeing the first capture with the new reel.

Tight lines to yourself as well,

Adrian

J

jon kennard

Cheers adrian, i read areview from tcf last year and they got the top review! I guess you hear various bits of advise but the proof will be in the spinning! Get a bit anxious after splashing out the cash. Will let you know, off for a bit of chubbing cheers jon

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well you wont be dissapointedjon , nice little reel nearly bought one the other day second hand but i have too many now. But it was nice and light and spins nice too . hope you have as many happy hours as i have my friend.

J

jon kennard

Bob cheers for the message of reassurance. Does the name Chubber come from the floats? or the fact that you can't fail to catch chub? Less than 12 hours to go! come on you chub.

S

Shrek

Does anyone know the start up weight of this reel as that would be a good indication of how well it performs?

By "start up weight" I mean how much shot does it need on the line to get the reel turning.

T

Tony Rocca

Nice to read something from someone who knows how to determin a good un from a not so good un Adrian.

Most seem to think how long it spins for is the important thing,........ looks to sky.

big gus

Reaction score
Tony, you will hate me then.

Had my first go with a JW Youngs last week (first time trotting with a pin) and couldn't use it - at all. Was completely hopeless. Couldnt get it spinning and, when it did, the line went all over the show./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Put my shimano gte-b back on and pulled out some cracking chub and dace. A complete waste of money in the hands of a berk like me. /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

B

get someone you know to give you a bit of a lesson on how to use it . It takes a while but you just have to keep trying . otherwise sell it to me lol.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Gus, you do not need to get it spinning.The pull of thecurrent should do it for you.You should only be controlling the speed the line comes off the reel by slowly braking the spool wth your thumb.If you try to speed up the reel you will get an over run unless you are an old hand.If there was not enough flow to pull the line from the reel, then the conditions were not right for using the pin.

My advice would be to take it to river with a good flow, plenty of small fish, stick on a decent sized float with a bit of weight down the line and practice.Using a pin may not catch you more fish but it is great fun when you get the hang of it.Dont give up yet.

B

Bully

Gus - mate, it takes some time!! Also if it was windy that will not help.

big gus

Reaction score
Bully/Nigel.....I'm afraid it was a complete balls-up from start to finish. And that was after lovingly preparing the day and looking forward to a new experience.

I got myself so tied up (metaphorically) with reasons why it wasn't going to plan that I eventually just gave up. Float not heavy enough to pull line off? Shotting pattern wrong? Flow not quick enough? A complete twot heading the operation /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

A real shame actually as I'd looked forward to the day for ages.

Oh - and casting? Couldnt get it out more than eight feet and that was pulling off two/three fingers of line.....

I am going to stop talking about it now as I'm having nightmares all over again.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Gus,

I think your expectations were too high mate.Its one of those things that the more youworry about what you are doing, the worst it can become.

Its a bit late for the grayling fish -in next weekend, but there will be another one on the Itchen at the back end of February(Note to self - put thread up soon)If you can resist binning the pin before then, get yourself along, and there will be no end of pinmen willing to show you the ropes on a river that is ideal for it.I garantee that if you get half decent, you will enjoyusing a pingreatly.Don't forget though, it is a means to an end, not the end in itself.

J

jon kennard

Gus, keep going. With most stick float fishing you should be fishing only 1 rods length out.I have had a few issues last time i fished the pin, which was windy and is to be expected.As advised get a friend to help or check out some old jonny w vids, chub and roach fishing. Watch thw way he uses them and try and copy it.

Just received the bewick, first impressions, very light, great looking reel, doesn't spin for a long as expected, but don't really want or need a reel that spins for ages as only casues problems(in my hands anyway).

Will feed back, the pin performance after the weekend. cheers jon

B

just take it slow and easy with the pin gus you get the hang of it best to start small and work up. Even stick a big float on with plenty of wieght that will get you out without a lot of struggle and also find a bit of water with a bend in the river and stand so the water runs directly out in front , you then dont have to cast as far and that will help you concentrate on the pin more. as jon say,s watch j wilson and look how he rests the pin in his hand and works his thumb all these things will help . but you know what they say practice makes perfect. I,v even gone out in my garden on many a night with just a wieghted float and practiced casting this can help too dont be afraid to try new things theres no hard and fast law to pin fishing. I started with fishing still water with my pin then worked up to flowing water this also helps get the feel of casting.hope this helps .

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
have a little faith ,persivere its worth the effort,failing that if any of you live near notts / derby i'm sure I/we can sort a days practice session together .or failing locality that other's will be willing to help show the basic's ,I know Alan roe does if your in lancashire ,or Alan tomkin'sdoes a 1 hour lesson on wallis casting for £25 as advertised on e-bay and http://www.riverwhy.co.uk/down Berkshire/Middlesex/Hampshire/Surrey way .

plus plenty of other Fm members would be willing to help show you the basic's

L

Laurie Harper

Gus, can only echo others' comments. It isn't easy at first, but a lovely way to fish once you get the hang of it. Most things worth having take a little effort, so hang in there. Being in my 6th decade and having fished on and off for nearly 50 years, l started out with a 'pinand couldn't wait to get hold of a fixed spool. I do remember the "fun" of bird's nests, casts landing at my feet, etc.Do give it a chance - you won't regret it.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
At the risk of putting myself on the spot if the next grayling day can be organised for the 9/10 th febuary I will make the effort to come south from my lancastrian abode and will offer to teach all of those that are wanting to learn how to cast and fish with the centerpin this I will do at my own expense providing that there are at least half a dozen or so to whom I can pass on the skills who will agree to pass them on to others....free of charge!

big gus

Reaction score
That's a very generous offer, Alan. I'm sure plenty will take you up on it.

Jon/Bob/Chavender/Laurie: all your comments have been taken on board - I guess I need to be a little more patient.

I'll be out at the weekend again and I'll take the centrepin with me.... I shall also take a beam and a length of rope for in case things go wrong again.

Gus