How to avoid a smelly car

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hi

this is a bit trivial but any advice would be welcome.

My kids have bought me a few days in Whiteacres for my Birthday and we are going in May, we will be using my Son's car and every other time we have been fishing its difficult to get the smell of fishing gear out of the car.

So much so that we are looking to buy a trailer for the fishing gear , but they are not cheap and storage is a problem as his other hobby is motocross and he already has 2 bike related trailers.

His current car is very nice - is there a way of avoiding the smell and still keep stuff in the boot of the car ? Like I said its a trivial matter but he is 23 and very proud of his car ( Mondeo titanium I think - I don't drive ) my plan was to maybe buy sealed boxes to put the kit in, put the rods in tubes that can be cleaned before they go into the car and put the dirty clothes into sealed bags for the , long , drive home.

Like I said its a trivial matter , we have tried the sealed boxes before but the car still seem to have a lingering smell for days afterwards, so if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful - thanks !

barbelboi

Reaction score
Never really had a problem Benny, so long as the landing nets are dry and in bin bags for the trip/s. You're not a bream addict by any chance;)
Jerry

bennygesserit

Reaction score
No far from it hence me starting an article on another forum called "why would anyone want to catch bream"

Here's an excerpt

Like I said if I hadn't caught anything else I'd be happy with one , and I don't mind them that much in a canal, but they shouldn't have them in commercials.
But your right maybe if they put them in a really fast river , I mean really fast like by a waterfall, they might be a bit of fun.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are only a few items of kit that might be the cause of the smell . . .

1. Keepents - should be thoroughly rinsed at the location and then allowed to dry but still put into 'stink bags' before put back in the car

2. Landing Nets - treat the same as Keepnets

3. Bait - probably the worst of the three: make sure that all maggots, pinkies etc., re all well sieved/riddled and put into fresh maize meal and back inot cleaned out bait boxes. Worms should be returned to a closely fitting lidded box. All bait boxes should then go into a cooler bag for transport.

Typically rods, reels, tackle boxes etc should not pick up any smell during the day, if muddy then rinse off with water before putting back into the car.

Also, use a stink bag for your wellies or waders.

A bit of extra work, yes, and more time consuming than just chucking everything back into the car, but then again, a lot cheaper than buying a trailer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can buy boot linings on ebay to fit most cars. Air dry your nets and get a good quality stink bag before you put them in the car. Don't take halibut pellets.

Or get the car valeted when you get home....

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ah yes, forgot about the bait. I always made a point of never bringing 'smelly baits' back home - I did accidentally leave at least 4 pints of maggots in the fridge of a holiday cottage we used in Norfolk many years ago - that probably surprised someone - and what a waste of good bait tubs.
Jerry

little oik

Reaction score
If you spill some milk out of the flask then you got only one option :eek:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
thanks for the replies - on another forum cat litter was a good suggestion.
Problem solved we are going to adapt his old motocross trailer as a general trailer.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My wife made me buy a fishing van, best thing I ever did.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
My wife made me buy a fishing van, best thing I ever did.

I reckon if he hadn't been diverted by motocross that would have been his next purchase, the first time I met Matt Hayes at Furnace Mill he was with Mick Brown and they had the van that has appeared in many of their fishing programmes - the Arkansas Chuggabug.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The best way of avoiding a smelly car is to catch nowt. Taking no bait will maximize your chances of catching nowt and minimize the chances of any smell whatsoever permeating your vehicle.