chub on the welland

T

trevor frisby

has anybody fished on the welland for chub around the tinwell area near stamford?

T

trevor frisby

Can you tell me who runs this stretch? are there a good number of fish in this area?

Will Barb

Reaction score
Not sure, I usually 'guest' fish waters Have to find the fish, then fish late.

stu

Reaction score
Have a look at the meadow in stamford itself its free fishing,there were reports of chub over five pounds last winter.I think the streatch at Tinwell is owned by stamford wellandA Cbut can not be 100% sure

Will Barb

Reaction score
Couple of good swims downstream of the Ketton Rd bridge, upstream of Tinwell. Again not sure who has the water/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

You can buy a book in the tackle shop in Stamford. This gives you access to a lot of the upper Welland and its quite cheap. Talk to the guy in the tackle shop for the best stretches.

Guesting is very naughty Mr Barb!

Will Barb

Reaction score
Just a habit I picked up in Norfolk, Sean /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I have atwo/three friends who fish the Welland in that area I can ask. Fished Tinwell a couple of times when taking my son to/from Nottingham Uni about 10 years ago.

Nice 'neasy fishing compared to N/E rivers.

S

sash

Let me tell you a little story -

Most of the water around there is controlled by Stamford Welland AAA. Books priced at £15 are available from Stamford Tackle, Foundry Road, Stamford.

The book itself is just 2 pages, 1 listing club rules, the other a list of waters they control with boundary points named that I can never and have never found on any OS map. There are absolutely no access points mentioned at all. The tackle shop doesn't know and suggests ringing the secretary whose number is on the front of the book. That number doesn't take incoming calls so I would suggest to do exactly what the tackle shop owner suggests and "just fish it anyway mate 'cause noone ever checks".

No wonder clubs are dissapearing so fast with organisation and attitude such as this.

Y

yoggy

I have to agree with you on this Sash. The waterscontrolled by the Stamford AA are very good Chub waters. I have virtually fished most of the stretches now. But the actual club book regarding access points and the exact boundry points is horrendous. The contact phone number in the book is a joke!

With a little help from someone in the know and an OS map I finally tracked down most of the access points.

Something weird happened at Tinwell during the Summer I bumped into a "pot smoking,fish spotting Hippie"!!!!. Didn`t actually fish he just liked spotting them!!!!/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Turns out though he was a very likeable bloke and for a bloke who didn`t fish he seemed to know exactly where the fish were. The following couple of days proved he wasn`t joking!!

P

paul dotchin

i'm looking to fish this area for big roach,does anybody know of any fish caught,size etc

gripper

Reaction score
fished it two weeks ago with two friends.fished from tinwell bridge down to iron bridge at stamford meadow,had two 2 pound chub between us.friend lost something big thou.not heard of any big roach on all the different sites ive tried.

honslow

Reaction score
Will, hope you don't bump into me down there without a ticket because if you do you'll find yourself and your tackle in the river! Buy a ticket you pikey t****r! And get your scales checked while your at it, I think the spring's been over-stretched!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Yeah!!

Greg ain't had a 7 so how could you!!! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

honslow

Reaction score
Actually Paul, nobody's had a fish that big for over three decades (officially). And the fact that he's a poacher puts his honesty in question, doesn't it?

He just turned up, poached a few times and caught a 'seven'... Yeah! And I spentlast night with Kate Bekinsale!

honslow

Reaction score
Congratulations Will, you just equalled the river record!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

See what you mean Greg...................bloody liar eh?

I was with Kate! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif