Exaggeration of fish caught !!!

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Dear people,

After looking at several of fellow young anglers' photos of decent fish - or even not so impresive ones - i have concluded that there are many, politely put, fools. By this i mean, people sticking the fish as close to the camera and as far away from themselves as possible. Now I may do this as a joke - to see what they could look like if they were really that big - but these so-called 'anglers' do this because, quite frankly, the fish is barely impressive if it was held properly.
Just as point by the CMM, I'd like to hear what you have to say on improper fish photography!

sam vimes

Reaction score
As long as they aren't exaggerating the weight, along with the long arm thing, I don't suppose it matters. I must confess that some of the photos doing the rounds leave me feeling distinctly inadequate, until I realise that my fish often look small in photos because I don't long arm and I'm a fat tub of lard.;):D

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
I once confronted a person that did this sort of thing all the time! His excuse was " with a fish this small, it looks better when held out...." he then asked me, " would you hold a 3Lb roach in at your chest?" what an Ass! of course not! I firmly believe in the forearm rule, whereby no matter how big or small, holing it at your forearm is genuine and sporting.

dezza

Reaction score
I've heard tell of those who when they weigh fish, they prefer to do it "on the bounce!"

This means lowering the fish on the balance and then lifting quickly so that the weight of the fish causes the balance to reach its maximum reading. This is often done several times and the average is taken to achieve maximum accuracy.

:):):)

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Ron,

Only poor quality fishermen, if you can even call them that, do things like that. Its prats like them who give certain anglers a name above all their heads that reads 'CHEAT'

robthomo

Reaction score
Picture wise as far as I'm concerned the fish is the star, no one wants to look at my ugly mug and to be honest when I look at capture pictures I don't pay too much attention to the angler either.

To make the smaller species look good in a picture you need to hold them forward to some extent, in this shot I didn't realise how far I'd taken that too and when I first saw it I was far from chuffed, then I thought hang on the fish looks good and thats what matters.

IMG_1377DesktopResolution.jpg

The real problem comes from those who want to lie about their fish weights and there's no shortage of those, that perch would be 5lb to that bloke, and of course his head would be the size of a peanut, Then again those kind of pictures are often at funny angles which makes it a bit trickier to assess size, possibly intentionally...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Everyone to their own, and people who 'fix' photos are only cheating themselves. Personally i usually prefer to photo fish on the mat with a rod/reel or scales (not Spider's scales;)) to reflect the size of the fish. I do have a few 'hands on' photos of what I consider 'special' fish but I'm more of the opinion that it should be about the fish - however I have no problem (and they're good to see) with people who wished to be photographed with their capture, especially when their fingers don't look like a bunch of bananas:D
Jerry

robthomo

Reaction score
Oi, my fingers aint yellow :D

The long and short of it is that 90% of the time if a claimed weight is well out then its obvious from the picture, if the weights genuine then there is no issue

barbelboi

Reaction score
No reflection on you Rob, I hit the button before I saw your post - however.............................;)
Jerry

robthomo

Reaction score
No fear fella, the closer the fish is to the camera the closer your pinkies are, no way around that, like I say that was unintentional and rarely for me the pictures were taken by a mate, as a rule I use a flip screen camera and can see what I'm getting, but I still think its a nice representation of the fish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
IMG_1377DesktopResolution.jpg

that perch would be 5lb to that bloke, and of course his head would be the size of a peanut,.

If you don't mind me asking, how big was it? I find perch very difficult to estimate and pics like that make it even harder. All I'd happily say would be that it's a big perch!;)

dezza

Reaction score
Old **** Walker often had problems with people who didn't believe the weights of the fish he was photographed holding.

Until one day these people met him in the flesh.

Walker was not only a big man, his hands were huge and his fingers were like sausages.

A 6 pound chub looked like a 4 pounder in his hands.

The best photos of big fish are those of the fish laid on grass or the unhooking mat with the rod and reel laid next to it.

However there was the case in the USA where an angler had a very small rod and reel made, together with a 12 inch rule that was 6 inches long.......

:eek::eek::eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Old **** Walker often had problems with people who didn't believe the weights of the fish he was photographed holding.

Until one day these people met him in the flesh.

Walker was not only a big man, his hands were huge and his fingers were like sausages.

A 6 pound chub looked like a 4 pounder in his hands.

The best photos of big fish are those of the fish laid on grass or the unhooking mat with the rod and reel laid next to it.

However there was the case in the USA where an angler had a very small rod and reel made, together with a 12 inch rule that was 6 inches long.......

:eek::eek::eek:
What did he measure with the rule Ron:D
Jerry

robthomo

Reaction score
Very true Ron, my mates a big lad and had a perch a good bit bigger that my photo last year yet it looks a lot smaller

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Oh dear, just noticed this is in the carp section, flaming newbies :D

The perch was 3lb 11

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Keep a look out for my big perch challenge mark 3 starting
October this year.
That fish would have won the last 2 years challenge.
Warning... My discretion is final and Spiders is err well,

Dodgy.....