Bill Bartles info

Graham Snowdon

Reaction score
I am trying to trace Bill Bartles, fishing author and journalist, or indeed to ascertain whether he is still alive.

On Monday (12th November) there is a reunion of all former staff writers and freelance sportscontributors to the Morning Telegraph, Sheffield, which closed down 20 years ago. Bill was the angling correspondent.

The occasion also marks the 80th birthday of Benny Hill (no, not the comedian, this is another Benny Hill), who was the sports editor of the Telegraph in Bill's days.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, is Bill still around and does anybody have contact details for him? Benny said he tried the number he had for him, but got the message that the number was not recognised.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Graham

I've phoned his daughter and if you email me - I'll can pass on her email address so you can email her details

Tally Ho

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

It's nice when things work out.

Graham Snowdon

Reaction score
Paul: Thanks for your response. Did you get the e-mail I sent to you yesterday? I really need to be contacting Bill today if we are to stand much chance of him attending on Monday.

If anybody else reads this, and knows the whereabouts of Bill, you can e-mail me direct on mail@snowdon.gr.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Hi Graham

I didn't get your email till today - but details have been passed on and I believe Bill is on his way to the do now - hope you all have a good time and raise a glass of port for me

Tally Ho

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nice one.I have a book of Bill's.It was one of the first fishing booksI was given.Does he still wet a lineI wonder?

Graham Snowdon

Reaction score
Yep, Bill turned up and had a great time, even though he was drinking halves of coke.

We had the 'do' at the Three Merry Lads on Redmires Road, Sheffield, and by the end of the evening it was more like the 42 merry lads. Started at noon, I got there at around 12.35pm, left at around 7pm (fortunately I am within walking distance), and I have just woken up after consuming a take-out Chinese and falling asleep on the sofa.

There were 45 people on the guest list, all but three of whom I think turned up. A truly memorable day, with many great people from the world of sports journalism in attendance. A few who will be well known to the world at large, such as football commentator John Motson, but mostly people who are just well known and respectedwithin the profession - legends in their own lunchtime, so to speak - and each and every one having worked on or for the Morning Telegraph at some point. In Bill's case, it was from 1964 until the closure in 1986.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sounds a good do , Graham.I'm glad FM was able to help out in finding Bill.Well done his lordship.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Hi Nigel

Bill still fishes most weeks according to his daughter

Tally Ho

Maureen 14

Reaction score
Sadly Bill died last Wednesday. Funeral is this Fri 6 March 2009 Hutcliffe Wood Sheffield 2.30pm. RIP Bill

Graham Snowdon

Reaction score
I was sorry to hear this news. I am just back home after being in London since Tuesday, otherwise I would have tried to get to the funeral.

I am attaching a picture which Benny Hill took of Bill and I at the 'do' at the Three Merry Lads back in November 2007.
img004188.jpg