400lb match weight in five hours

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this an ethical and sustainable stocking policy?

The 5 hour match record according to last weeks Angling Times is 520lb. If we are worried about anything showing us in a bad light with the general public we should be worrying about this.
As a fishkeeper (koi carp) I am well aware that this level of biomass in an enclosed water, the fish will literally be swimming in an ammonia soup leaving them vulnerable to all sorts of diseases. Iimo it's only a matter of time before something appears which will make the spring viremia of carp virus look like the common cold.
In a political and ecological climate where battery chickens are frowned on, veal crates are banned, the problems of disease associated with intensive pig farming is well documented and intensive farming in general is frowned on we should be discouraging this sort of behaviour not applauding it.
I believe that if fishery owners will not take it on themselves to stop this ever increasing arms war in search of the biggest match weights in the quest for a bigger slice of a saturated market and adopt a maximum stocking density, then the much vaunted ACA should look into another method of measuring angling performance and prowess rather than simply relying on weight alone.
Its only a matter of time before the general public gets wind of what some sections of the angling community are doing in the name of sport and If the angling community doesn't accept this as a problem and do something about it then rest assured they will stop it for us.

Discuss.

Last edited:

smithdave

Reaction score
It's disgraceful behaviour to vastly overstock such waters just so you can have some pretty fish in your garden.

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
Titus,

You are absolutely correct. Not match fishing but fishmongering in a fish farm.
There is a need for liaison between the owners of commercial fisheries and the Angling Trust. Will the commercial boys be interested in any discussion?

Hugo

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
It is disgraceful that this should be allowed to happen, particularly when we have a mechanism in place that can stop it. The EA monitor all stockings through the section 30 consent system and the EA should be preventing this.

the wise one

Reaction score
Is this an ethical and sustainable stocking policy?

The 5 hour match record according to last weeks Angling Times is 520lb. If we are worried about anything showing us in a bad light with the general public we should be worrying about this.
As a fishkeeper (koi carp) I am well aware that this level of biomass in an enclosed water, the fish will literally be swimming in an ammonia soup leaving them vulnerable to all sorts of diseases. Iimo it's only a matter of time before something appears which will make the spring viremia of carp virus look like the common cold.
In a political and ecological climate where battery chickens are frowned on, veal crates are banned, the problems of disease associated with intensive pig farming is well documented and intensive farming in general is frowned on we should be discouraging this sort of behaviour not applauding it.
I believe that if fishery owners will not take it on themselves to stop this ever increasing arms war in search of the biggest match weights in the quest for a bigger slice of a saturated market and adopt a maximum stocking density, then the much vaunted ACA should look into another method of measuring angling performance and prowess rather than simply relying on weight alone.
Its only a matter of time before the general public gets wind of what some sections of the angling community are doing in the name of sport and If the angling community doesn't accept this as a problem and do something about it then rest assured they will stop it for us.

Discuss.

Apart from the odd inaccuracy, I whole agree with your words, and there shouldn't be any need to 'discuss'.

There should be a maximum stocking level per acre of water, decided upon by the EA. Regular checks should be made on all/any fishery, and those found overstocking should be hit hard with big fines or even shut down.

It is angling at its worst.

There are already reports of 'problems' with 'commercial' fisheries, and that is only going to get worse.

T.W.O

waggy

Reaction score
Season tickets for cormorants is what I say.
But seriously, this is getting as gross as 'eating contests'. Sends out very bad vibes.

dezza

Reaction score
As a person who has caught a few enormous weights of carp in the past, and quite recently too. I fully agree with what you say Titus. Lakes are vastly overstocked and match weights like that are totally obscene.

Now that might sound strange for a man who has admitted he has caught large numbers of carp in the past. But my catches were not from high density stocked "noddy" ponds. They came from huge reservoirs or sections of impounded rivers where the carp have grown on from original fish that were introduced to the water well over 100 years ago.

Wild fish if you want to call them thus.

And the fish in my latest catches were not placed in a keepnet but virtually dropped over my shoulder into a 2 acre lake that required stocking.

Oh yes I have placed large catches into keepnets years ago, but I wouldn't do it today.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't disagree with the vast majority of what has been posted. However, I do suspect that it's wrong to assume that the general public will ever give a stuff about fish, whether they get all the required detail or not.