Chasing the Ladies

Reaction score
I alway find Seans article both enjoyable and informative. He clearly is thinking angler and I never fail to learn from reading them. His photographs illustrate the location beautifully plus he alway has trophy photo of a good fish, so his methods must work. Look forward to your future article. By the way were you fishing a Bradford No1 water.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Last time I fished for grayling was with John Ledger a few weeks before he died. You brought back some mixed memories with the article Sean. Joy on the day we fished but sadness not long after.

S

Sean Meeghan

I know how you feel Graham. John and I had arranged a Grayling session on the Swale, but sadly we never made it. We'll raise a glass to his memory in a couple of weeks.

Yes Michael it was a Bfd No 1 water. Skipton have some good water as well.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I enjoyed the piece a lot as well Sean.Its easy to forget with the press' focus on the grayling of the Sothern chalk rivers that the spiritual home of trotting for grayling is Yorkshire.I have Reg's book andI must give it a re-read.Its a classic.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Loved it.....but a pin on a duplon abbrieviated for the "Ladies"......i think personally a full length cork is the thing. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Alan Roe

Reaction score
And no broad brimmed hat..............The Grayling police are coming to getcha!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I had a couple of early sessions on the upper Aire fly fishing for brownies but it wasn’t until I tried worm for the chub that I picked up a couple of small graying and a decent brownie. I must have had half a dozen trips now and I’ve yet to bump into any other angler. I find it very hard to understand why people would want to sit on a carp puddle with miles of beautiful river to go at. It was the same on the upper Ure miles of really beautiful country and I only ever met one angler and he was going home.

Once again Sean, nice read makes you want to get out on the river.

S

Sean Meeghan

Never mind the duplon Paul, just look at the fake carbon on the reel fitting!

Had the same trouble with the Barbel Police Alan. Although as I'm a mate of the chief constable of the Grayling Police they don't bother me much!!

We'll have to have a session together on the Aire John. Let me know when you get some free time.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Will do Sean, our Lass can't drive for another 4/5 weeks, becasue of her opp, should be OK around Christmas.

B

Bully

Where is the Aire?

Nice read, love the pici of the river and background scenery

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

It starts in the Yorkshire Dales northwest of Skipton then runs more or less due east through Bingly, Shipley and Leeds, then down to Castleford where it picks up the Calder. Not sure after this I haven't got a passport for the flat lands of Yorkshire.

S

Sean Meeghan

After Castleford it continues as a big "industrial" river with large power stations fed by huge coal barges. It continues like this down to Eggborough near Selby where there is a weir and the river becomes tidal. The tidal river isn't navigable and is much narrower and more natural.

The lower reaches from Leeds down are excellent roach waters and can throw up some big fish. The tidal reaches have limited access and not much is known about them.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Another excellent read Sean. Not fished the Aire for around 15 years. Lovely little rain fed river. Fly fished it back then. Might have to give it a go with the float.