By Hook Or By Crook

G

Gerry Castles

Not so weird, it happened to me just before Xmas. I woke to the sound of scratching noises in the hall and when I looked over the stairwell there was what appeared to be a rod tip trying to hook my car keys off the hall table.
I called (quietly) the police and they caught him. That made headlines 'police get to a call fast enough to catch burglar' I looked at our insurance policy afterwards and it clearly states that the policy does not cover situations where keys are left in a vulnerable position. Apparently the fishing rod through the letter box is a common trick.

C

Chris Bishop

Judging by the speed at which one or two big firms jumped on the barbel bandwagon, they're probably having consultants road testing special blanks as we speak.

C

Cheese Paste

You did well to keep composed and call the police. I'd have probably open the door, gaffed him and hung him on some size 6 trebles.

G

Gerry Castles

I had the choice of a swordstick under the bed, a more effective (and licenced) piece of weaponry in the office or the satisfaction of seeing him caught.
Just a typical south london Sunday night

P

Paul Williams

Gerry,
you are so cool!.......i would have checked if his rod was any good......if not i would have blown his hand off!

P

Phil Heaton

240v along the blank would have worked wonders, carbon fibre luvverly conductor. Did they check to see if the rod was stolen?

G

Gerry Castles

I said it appeared to be a rod tip, it was in fact a 6 foot length of bamboo with a hook tied to the end. When the men in blue caught him a mile away after a chase he was still holding the 'rod'. What a clown, it would have been the first thing I would have ditched.

J

John Pleasance

I can only say, with my smug face on, that if my keys aren't in the ignition then they are in my pocket. :eek:)

R

Robert Draper

When this happened to my landlord in Sheffield he picked up a cricket bat and smacked the tip of the rod squarely back through the letterslot. The unfortunate fellow on the other end lost a tooth and had his cheek pierced by four inches of the aluminium tube he was using to "fish" for the keys. I bet you can guess who ended up in court...

G

Gerry Castles

So John, you wear pyjamas with big pockets...interesting.

G

Gerry Castles

Incidently the attempt to get the keys may have been as the result of seeing the brand new Range Rover parked outside my door.
I would have liked to have seen his face when he realised that it belonged to me neighbour and that my keys fitted the
10 year old battered Volvo parked behind.