Have you ever fallen in?

flightliner

Reaction score
Have you, was it funny, dangerous, did your life go flashing by before you got out, or was it nothing more serious than a welly full of cold water or a wet backside.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Fallen in many a time,first time was when I was about seven trying to get to the best spot on the brook trying to catch some minnows fell from about five foot from a concrete curved block ,tipped me well over my wellies and big sister was none to happy as she knew was in for it when we got home for putting me in mortal danger!!
grounded she was which meant no minnowing for me for a while.
Fell off my wicker creel which used to fold in on it self once in a while on this occasion it folded forward which meant me going in head first.
Fell in the Trent from a steep bank after my mate hooked a barbel ,I followed with net one minute he was there ,the next gone through the torrential rain I wondered were he had gone when I found him as I fell down the same death slide ,both of us now looked at each other as we scrambled up the bank holding on to a small shrubling to say we were a little bemused is an understatement The barbel was landed though .

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just the once, 40odd years ago on the River Chelmer, before I was a heavy weight.
Climbed a willow to check out a shoal of nice roach, the branch cracked,( it must have been a crack willow) and I was worried enough as a non swimmer to still remember it to this day.
Got wet, didn't catch any roach that day!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Walking round a pond with the wife and two ankle biters, saw a float in the margins, leant over holding a branch, got the float between two fingers, and then, like Fred above, the branch snapped. Made the wife and two lads laugh, had to walk a mile home.

The best one i saw was at Walter Bowers lake at North Muskham, bloke with a HUGE stomach leant forward to net a fish and went head first into the water, got himself out, trying to walk up the bank he slipped, went backwards over his basket, and straight back into the lake.......I do believe one or two people laughed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Funny you mention old walters place. back in the late eighties I was watching one of the young "turks" carp angler who was casting really long throws with a spod. He was placing it behind him on the ground and then loading up the rod with a huge forward lungh. I had watched him doing really well but then he came unstuck as the spod coming forward somehow cracked him on the back of the head and it sent him running into the lake.
Never laughed so much on the bankside in all my life!!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
When I was single I went on holiday to the Norfolk Broads, we had had about five minutes tuition on how to steer the boat, our first stop was outside a crowded pub garden. I was going too fast towards the bank so threw the lever full astern. I really should have told my mate who was standing at the front, his knees hit the safety rail and he went straight over the rail, he had wrapped the anchor rope around his hand in order to toss the mud weight in. He sunk, well sort of like you would expect someone who was holding about thirty pounds of concrete to sink, he eventually surfaced coughing and spluttering. The whole crowd in the pub garden where peeing themselves and gave him a round of applause, I don't think he's ever properly forgiven me. It was blo0dy funny though.

terry m

Reaction score
Several times as a kid, but once recently when walking across what I thought was bank to replace a smallish pike. The bank turned out to be flattened reeds and I went in up to my waist, turned 180 degrees in one movement and launched my self back out almost as quickly as I went in!

not great on a freezing winters day - heaven knows what happened to the pike!

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
A few times over the years. Funniest was a long time ago, Salmon fishing on the River Don (Aberdeen not Yorkshire). Saw the flash of a Salmon in a deepish glide running down my bank. Crawled upstream of the fish, slid down the bank behind a tree, did a reasonable impression of a Spey cast, good line, the low water fly ran down and across where I thought the fish was, a flash, yes?

No, I lost my footing whilst staring at the water and went head first into about 6 feet of water. I can remember thinking that I wasn’t going to break my new rod (I’d made it from a Simpsons Blank for this holiday) so I shoved my hand above the water as I floated down. I was a very good swimmer, I wasn’t panicked, I remembered that the glide started to shallow about 20 yards downstream so I just floated down underwater, hand and rod above the water until I hit bottom and appeared.

My reappearance was met with manic laughter from my father, who admitted that panic turned to mirth as the rod and hand appeared, Excalibur like from the deeps.

Very wet, very amused. Happy days.

Stu

flightliner

Reaction score
My one and only time was on the Trent as a very little/young lad.I was taking a fish or two but my brother wasn,t so my dad said for us to change places.
I had just sat down on my brothers wicker basket when down I fell headlong into the water. Fortunately my dad had me out in a flash-- simply said "your a proper fisherman now lad" and left me to dry out in the sun sat in my short legged trews.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My one and only time was on the Trent as a very little/young lad.I was taking a fish or two but my brother wasn,t so my dad said for us to change places.
I had just sat down on my brothers wicker basket when down I fell headlong into the water. Fortunately my dad had me out in a flash-- simply said "your a proper fisherman now lad" and left me to dry out in the sun sat in my short legged trews.

If you fish around Sheffield you are more likely to be pushed in than fall in!!!!!!!!

chav professor

Reaction score
I fell in when fishing a lake renowned for producing big bream. I was chatting to my mate on the next peg when my buzzer sounded - I charged over, slipped on the wooden platform, skidded into the margins.

My sleeve was soaked as my arm steadied my fall and both wellies and jogger bottoms were soaked to the thigh - bearing in mind this took place in may were nights are still chilly, I spent the whole night shivering on a chair making cups of chocolate, coffee and smoking myself to death to keep warm. IT WAS HELL!

Was it worth it? I had my first ever double figure dustbin at around 5/6am and was mighty impressed with the scale of the beast.

bream084.jpg

Moral of this story is that I always carry a ditch kit in the van, including towel, trousers, jumper, jacket and a pair of old walking boots.

gentle

Reaction score
Last year I fell in the Croxdale stretch of the river wear when chubbing. Set up my bank chair and thought back left foot was on solid turf. Seems it was set up on overhanging grass. Did a fantastic backward roll and deposited myself headfirst into the river. Mobile phone is still in there somewhere. I emerged from the river covered in weed and mud. My fishing pal laughed so hard I had to push him in.

All in all a very amusing experience.

chrisfromthevalley

Reaction score
loads of times, in winter as well, all my tackle went for a swim with me once in the canal, had to go back in to get it.

Carlos

Reaction score
Not myself. But a good friend of mine had the whole fishery in stitches. He was fishing on a wooden platform and put his kit down and started talking animatedly to me about some instance at work and completely forgot where he was and stepped backward into the lake ........ after lots of muttering, a quick trip back to his car and the tackle shop to change his clothes he was back. Unluckily for him he forgot to tighten one of the legs on his chair and ended up head first in the mud and reeds.

The occasional quips and comments around the lake were priceless.