Spods, or what about the SPOMB?

dezza

Reaction score
I've been using spods for a long time to bait up at distance. Then I see this Spomb gadget at my local shop and Mick Dinnigan convinces me that I should have one.

It looks very efficacious and I bought one immediatly.

Have any of you lot got one?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Had one and destroyed it in reasonably short order. When they are working, they are definitely better than a standard spod.

robthomo

Reaction score
Superb things, expensive for a bit of plastic but they make the job so much easier. I used the mini one for putting out small amounts of maggot while roaching this winter, excellent bit of kit and will suit my tenching too, the big one is a tad too big for what I want usually but good for longer sessions where you want to get a good amount of bait in quickly.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
I used my friends - well actually nicked it for the day - mini Spomb, and after going a bit O.T.T on the baiting, 'cos it was that easy and efficient, i will never use any form of Spod ever again! the CMM has been completely converted.

terry m

Reaction score
I have seen them used very effectively but not used one myself. As I understand it they are designed to deal with sloppier spod mixes that would spill easily from the standard spod.

If they work for you use it, if not, don't. Simple eh!

dezza

Reaction score
I have seen them used very effectively but not used one myself. As I understand it they are designed to deal with sloppier spod mixes that would spill easily from the standard spod.

It says on the leaflet that it will handle any type of feed or groundbait.

So there it is then, it looks like a genuine innovation. I hope I can find some line and a rod that will handle it.

:cool:

billyf

Reaction score
they are a good bit of kit, no spill at all, they dont fly as staright as a spod and take a little getting used to but for anything but long range they are great (up to 90 yds)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I have been using the spomb for a long time now and I am still not convinced it beat the standard Korda spod. My reasons are as follows The Spomb needs two hand to fill it one holding the Spomb and one filling. This two handed loading means you have to let go of the spod rod and rest it somewhere whilst you spend time carfully loading the Spomb. The Korda spod can easily be filled with one hand by holding the fins and using the spod as a shovel, which for me is quicker cleaner and easier. The Korda spod flies strait and true and can be a lot more accurate than the Spomb which I find has an annoying habit of wobbling during the initial stage of the cast and then occasionally going where ever it wants to. If you do ever suffer a line breakage the Spomb is nearly impossible to see as only 2 or 3mm of the nose shows above the water surface. To help this I have places two large Fox poly balls on the connection strap at the back of the Spomb.
IMG_4175.JPG

On the up side it does deliver dog biscuits and maggots better than any other spod I have tried. I still have not figured out how to get the Spomb to fly strait and true every time.
I hope this helps people

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have a Spomb and used for 2 seasons now,very easy to retrieve compared to a spod and can load it with anything - boilies,hemp,sweetcorn,maggots etc etc and it empties every time unlike a spod if the contents are compacted too much.
Another method I use is with a broken spod where the buoyant nose fell off,fitted it with lead strips and use it as a massive open ended swimfeeder,the only downside is a very strong rod & line is required as it must weigh about 10oz fully loaded but you can shift a hell of a lot of groundbait quickly,just jerk it hard when its been on the bottom for about 10 seconds or so to empty it.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm going to have one. I dont spod on principle [too lazy,dont have the gear] but this I can see me using for close/med range work. Might even help a bit as an anti-duck measure

I now have a couple of the smaller ones. I think they'll be very good to use as you describe. This time next week they'll get some use.

robthomo

Reaction score
For loose feed they are excellent but last weekend I tried using the mini with a particle mix stiffened with groundbait and it wasn't really up to the job, you have to ensure that there is no overspill whatsoever onto the fins before closing else it causes problems. With the large version that isn't such an issue as you can just leave some clearance around the bait, with the mini you really want to fill it as much as possible as it doesn't hold much anyway.

The other issue in some circumstances is that you can't dip it in the water to increase weight which with light particles is useful at any kind of range.

So although I love them for many jobs they don't totally supercede the spod.