Hook Size

blounty65

Reaction score
Hi All,
been on the pool this morning and i was waggler fishing with a size 18 hook using single maggot and i was getting bombarded with small roach sucking on the bait. So i thought how about using a bigger bait so i switched to sweetcorn, my question is should i have gone up to a size 16 hook or should i stay on a 18.... sorry if its a daft question..

Pete

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
For a grain of corn on the hook I would go to a 14.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

For a grain of corn on the hook I would go to a 14.
What were you hoping to catch?

blounty65

Reaction score
hi peter, thanks for the advice, tbh i was just wanting to get away from the roach, so decent skimmers , bream, or smallish carp would have been nice,

hi danger mouse many thanks for the chart truly noted will try it out on sunday, one question if im fishing with sweetcorn do i loose feed a few pieces or loose feed maggot????

dangermouse

Reaction score
Loose feed some corn if that`s your hookbait. I usually throw 3 or 4 pieces in at a time and increase that number as I start to get more bites. I do sometimes feed maggot at the same time but not always.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hook sizes can vary considerably between manufacturers - just size your bait up to the hook you're using - if it looks right it probably is, if not down or up size as necessary.
Jerry

blounty65

Reaction score
hmmm, i think that i should have upsized to at least a 16 i did think at the time this corn looks massive, oh well i know for sunday thanks for all the advice....

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Dont forget you can always chop a bait dow so its a tad smaller, rather than swapping hooks, or try feeding off the small roach till the larger chaps appear.