Tench Rods

dalesman

Reaction score
Been requested by a mate to ask the question as he need to replace his Drennan MK1 tench float rods which he has owned from the year dot.

He has just moved house and his went missing in transit via the removal van.

Any I ideas, thanks in advance

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just look for some mk1's on ebay and replace them that way. Not to long ago I was looking for the best tench rod and after trying out most of the drennan tench rods my preferred model is the super tench. Failing that these are as good imo ...

DRENNAN IM8 SPECIMEN FLOAT ROD 12`9`` CARBON, WITH ROD BAG | eBay

I have two of them and use them mainly for trotting, they're good for all species from dace to barbel.

You do like your Ebay don't you Tigger!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You do like your Ebay don't you Tigger!!!

LOL, Mark it's the only place I can find the tackle I like. I mean where would you find one of those drennan im8 specimine float rods for example if it weren't for ebay ?
The small adds in the likes of angling times, exchange & mart etc used to be the best places to find tackle but now everyone (or most people) use fleebay to sell their gear. I have some gear which I think I may never have been able to find without fleebay.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
LOL, Mark it's the only place I can find the tackle I like. I mean where would you find one of those drennan im8 specimine float rods for example if it weren't for ebay ?I have some gear which I think I may never have been able to find without fleebay.

There's two in my shed for a start...though one is 3 inches shorter than it was. One I bought from a shop...t'other from ebay. I know you have your reasons for not using it Mark but like Tigger I've loads of stuff that I simply could not have sourced from anywhere else...mostly replacements for much loved rods/reels long discontinued or heavily discounted end of ranges. I love the place.

Back to the question. Why not stick with the latest incarnation of the Drennan TF ? Its a much better rod than the original though as Mark says any "power float" will do the job. My tench float rods are Free Spirits...the Hi-S Power Float which is gorgeous and I've just got a FS Tench Special Float....looks & feels the part but I've not used it in anger yet. The Drennan IM8 Specimen is IMO a much underated & rather forgotten rod...extraordinarily versatile though I've never used it for barbel. The only thing I dont like about it are the sliding reel fittings...so I had them off and fitted a screw down hooded seat. Much nicer & a damned sight more secure too.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They might be a bit expensive but have a look for the Diawa Spectron M2 13ft x power. They have just replaced these fine rods with a new range and so you can pick them up for around £160 instead of £260! Yes still a lot of cash but the feel, lightness and balance of these rod just as to be seen (or held!) Yes I went out and bought one, and yes I love it! Its a pity I did not buy the 17-20ft when I had the chance...The ultimate stick float rod...Sorry Preston, I love my Excels to bits but that rod was a dream to hold!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They might be a bit expensive but have a look for the Diawa Spectron M2 13ft x power. They have just replaced these fine rods with a new range and so you can pick them up for around £160 instead of £260! Yes still a lot of cash but the feel, lightness and balance of these rod just as to be seen (or held!) Yes I went out and bought one, and yes I love it! Its a pity I did not buy the 17-20ft when I had the chance...The ultimate stick float rod...Sorry Preston, I love my Excels to bits but that rod was a dream to hold!

Mark, yeah daiwa have and do make some top drawer rods but for that kind of money you can pick up some mint normarks on the bay !
I've had two brand spanking new normarks off the bay for £70 each... a titan and an avenger. IMO as we speak they're the best float rods ever made :):w
Oh, forget those bleedin big long roach pole rods( I nearly always use a 13ft rod and can float fish large rivers no prob's) and learn to cast with your pin (i'll show you how it's done if you like) or get a pair of chest waders :D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, yeah daiwa have and do make some top drawer rods but for that kind of money you can pick up some mint normarks on the bay !
I've had two brand spanking new normarks off the bay for £70 each... a titan and an avenger. IMO as we speak they're the best float rods ever made :):w
Oh, forget those bleedin big long roach pole rods( I nearly always use a 13ft rod and can float fish large rivers no prob's) and learn to cast with your pin (i'll show you how it's done if you like) or get a pair of chest waders :D

I used to have a pair of neoprene chest waders, OK in a Scottish spate river but I used to sweat my b###s off any other time! Been after a pair of breathable chest waders but apart from the Orvis ones none of the other cheaper brands don't seem to have very good right ups!
I would have thought that with Shimano taking over the running of Normark that they would have considered bringing back the Rods?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to have a pair of neoprene chest waders, OK in a Scottish spate river but I used to sweat my b###s off any other time! Been after a pair of breathable chest waders but apart from the Orvis ones none of the other cheaper brands don't seem to have very good right ups!
I would have thought that with Shimano taking over the running of Normark that they would have considered bringing back the Rods?

I just use cheap waders as all the people I know who've got/ had expensive one's seem to have had prob's with them and reckon they don't really last longer than cheap'ish one's. I do have some hunter streamfisher thigh waders that have been superb, unfortunatly they stopped making them.

I must addmitt since the normark rods where so much of a hit you would think they'd do a re-run of the float rod range. Maybe masterline have/bought the rights etc ? But then again I think masterline where just distributors for normark, not to sure.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I must addmitt since the normark rods where so much of a hit you would think they'd do a re-run of the float rod range. Maybe masterline have/bought the rights etc ? But then again I think masterline where just distributors for normark, not to sure.

That's the strange thing though, were they really that much of a hit at the time? Like many other things that achieve such a cult following after their time, it's partly because of limited availability because they didn't sell that well when they were actually in production. There's no denying that it's not down to quality as to why they didn't sell boat loads, rather the high price.

As Mark suggested, Shimano have acquired the Normark name. At least in the UK, the company is now Shimano Normark UK LTD.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's the strange thing though, were they really that much of a hit at the time? Like many other things that achieve such a cult following after their time, it's partly because of limited availability because they didn't sell that well when they were actually in production. There's no denying that it's not down to quality as to why they didn't sell boat loads, rather the high price.

As Mark suggested, Shimano have acquired the Normark name. At least in the UK, the company is now Shimano Normark UK LTD.

They were very, very Expensive back in the days that they were in production!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
IMO the 2000 series were the best, and still are brilliant rods.
Jerry

Yeaph, the 2000 range are fantastic and I love mine ....but I prefer the next model...the mkII.